2 ?s about Western Flyers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I received my 2 western flyers this weekend, and I have no idea how to idea them at all. I can find quite a bit of information on Schwinns, but not these. I understand they were made by as many as 12 manufacturers, and while it'd be nice to find out who REALLY made them, if nothing else, I'd like to find out what year they are. Pictures are @ http://bikeblog.daryhaven.com/ , if they help.

Also, are these somewhat universal? Where can I find a replacement? It's from below the steering neck, it goes right under the bottom bearing race, mounted to the front fork.

dscn0261.JPG

Sandalscout,

Is that piece from your bike or from just a picture you found? If you want to replace it because its rusty, I would try unsing a piece of aluminum foil balled up and get it wet it water. It will rub the rust right off and not damage the chrome (unless its already chipping by itself). I did this will all of my rusty parts and it brought the shine like brand new. Follow that with a little Brasso and it will sparkle. A little rust adds a little character if it doesnt come all the way off :mrgreen:

Brandon,

That's actually from my bike. I was going to try the foil trick, but honestly think the rust is down too far to help... I'll definetely try it tonight though.

I, too, don't mind rust, but for my plans on these bikes, I want them to be really clean.

Thanks!

sandalscout said:
Brandon,

That's actually from my bike. I was going to try the foil trick, but honestly think the rust is down too far to help... I'll definetely try it tonight though.

I, too, don't mind rust, but for my plans on these bikes, I want them to be really clean.

Thanks!

You'd be surprised how much it takes off...just always keep the foil wet (and dont use the cheapie thin stuff) and keep changing sides so you dont rub it flat. I had a set of bars that were caked with rust and it all came off. There may be a few residual stains or slight pitting, but with some metal polish it makes it look pretty minimal.

Holy cow! You aren't lying! It did a REALLY great job. I'm not sure my necks will clean up this well, but at $6.50 a pop for those, it's not real bad at all.

I was really sceptical, but this is a really cool trick, just wish I had a way of doing it quicker... Might have to try some "heavy duty" foil next.

Thanks!

sandalscout said:
Holy cow! You aren't lying! It did a REALLY great job. I'm not sure my necks will clean up this well, but at $6.50 a pop for those, it's not real bad at all.

I was really sceptical, but this is a really cool trick, just wish I had a way of doing it quicker... Might have to try some "heavy duty" foil next.

Thanks!

Your are most certainly welcome. I found it on a blog somewhere and saw all these people making comments on how well it worked, so I tried it myself and was the same way..."Holy Cow!!!" So I figured I would pass it along. Good luck with all of your other parts, a heavy duty foil would be a good thing to have for some tricky spots.

Back