1972 Peugeot PX 10E

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help guys on a good price to offer for this bike and what a good resale would be, It's missing the correct seat but every thing else seems to be good. 1972 Peugeot PX 10E

10991289_10153055386042156_2523082686692629420_n.jpg

10999726_10153055386072156_3441237416936152608_n.jpg

10246803_10153055386122156_7557885797931735513_n.jpg

Depends of the market.
I sold last year 4 Peugeot with 140...160$, clean with good (new) tires and everything working.
Yours looks to have better components.
What about the tubing?
Try on bikeforums.net

If that's a px-10e, it's worth some decent money. These bikes have a serious cult following, and real francophile cyclists can tell you all about the various models, variants, best/worst years, etc.

I'm not a real francophile cyclist, so I'm afraid i can't help much. I can point you in this direction: http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/bicycles/Peugeot/PX10_history.htm

Of note: the page mentions that many folks misidentify their Pug as a px-10, and how it's easy b/c Peugeot offered many similar models, many in 531, etc. It has been my experience that a lot of these are misidentified, and unscrupulous sellers will attempt to capitalize on the px-10's cult status, as well as the fact that for much of the 60s and most of the 70s, Peugeot didn't put any decals on the frames to identify the model.

Also of note: the bike pictured does have the black plain Nervex head lugs, with the other lugs being white, and that is in fact consistent with a '72 px-10e. so, yeah, it might be the real deal.

I agree with maurius, though: go to bikeforums.net on the classic&vintage appraisal forum. They'll know what it is, and give you a value on the conservative/miserly side of the scale. Just make sure yuou put up pics that don't reveal the bike's ad online. If that's a real px-10e at a nice price, someone will poach it on you.

Good luck!
-Rob

That crankset doesn't look right. For px 10 it should be a Stronglight 49 not a coter pin steel crankset. As stated above the frame should be made form 531 tubeset, if it was you would find decals stating that(what does that decal,it's black, above the blue/green decal say on the seat tube?. My guess is that it is a UO 8, from the bike boom era. Also in the rear(dropouts) there should be set screws for the rear axles(not what ever the thing is in the behind of the rear axle), this bike seems not to have them, they were manufactured by Simplex. I don't recall but I don't think there would be mounts on the rear for a rack, once again look at the dropouts (whats the deal with the washers on the rack, is that an English screw holding the rack to the bottom of drop out did they strip out the thread in the drop outs). The derailuer is a low level Simplex unit the model that should be on there is silver in color (after looking at the photos better I see that it is silver in color). UO 8 used those type of lugs too for a while till demand from the US market out strip supplies and simpler lugs were used. UO 8 is a nice bike but I would never try to pass off a UO 8 as a PX 10. UO 8 are made up a tubeset made by Peugeot they are not double butt and would weight more than 531 tubeset. Standard saddle for a PX 10 would be a Brooks or an Idea saddle. If it is a UO 8 price would be 80.00-100.00. Sorry for nit picking, but I really like French made bikes, don't like seeing people being taken. PS what brake set is that? PX 10 should have side pull brakes. If they are Mafacs center pulls, which are good brakes,or any center pulls for that matter they don't belong on a PX 10. Also the stem for the handle bars is not saying quality to me. The bolt should be flush not sticking out as that one. If it's a French stem it will need to be replaced. At that time the French were using a different dimension then the rest of the cycling world. This bike is a screaming a warning.

Last edited:
Back