1955 Burgundy Schwinn Middleweight Cantilever

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a frame that only had crank bearing cups and a seatpost when I built it up, so I haven't an clue what exact model it used to be.
So far, I've identified my frame as a 1955 Schwinn cruiser. I'm guessing it's a middleweight since I couldn't fit any of those new department store balloon fenders on the frame.

It has been spray painted blue and every layer of paint is severely cracking and chipping. The original paint underneath seems to be burgundy metallic. I'm pretty sure this is the original color since I still see layers of silver metallic and red primer.

What model was this frame?

Were all Schwinn middleweight frames in '55 the same?
http://www.schwinncruisers.com/schwinn-catalogs/1955-schwinn-bicycle-catalog/

Bikes that had hand brakes had frames with a different upper rear fender mount. I call those clip frames because they had a little clip that attached the fender to the mount. Other than that, all the middleweight frames should be the same from that era. Gary

Here is a picture.

photorlb.jpg

Thanks for the reply, guys.
I'm still curious of what the bike used to be, though. Burgundy is one of my all time favorite colors.

Show us a pict of the whole bike if possible. Cool front fender though from the pict you do have. Got the serial number, thats a good way for us to id at least what year for sure and go from there. Sounds like a cool bike.

Thank you for all of the replies, folks. You have all been very helpful!

Nice frame, Chips_Mahoy. Is it built up?

Pictures can be found in my intro thread.

Latest posts

Back