1953 Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to the forums and, frankly, new to restoring bikes. I just picked up this beauty...
1_zpscfc8f98a.jpg

Can anyone help me identify this? S/N puts it as an Aug '53 model and I think it looks like a lady's Panther, but I'm not sure. Most info I see on the Panther show it with 26" wheels, but these are 24". Also, I haven't seen this paint scheme before. Any info would be great.
Thanks, Robby

Not a Panther, as Panthers had springer, chrome fenders, etc. Also during these years Schwinn didn't always have a catchy model name, especially on 24's and 20's. There are numerous Schwinn catalogs and sales brochures posted on various sites. Try searching for them.

Look through the pages here:

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1951_1960/1953_05.html

You will notice that they didn't show every model and certainly not every color in the catalog. Schwinn would picture the boys and "also" give the girls' model number. That forces you to look at how it's equipped... and those accessories are often just a torn out pair of rivet holes these days.

But you're close to the right model and if it needs a complete restoration anyway, it isn't going to matter much which original paint scheme you use. It won't be an "original paint" bike, so do it however you like. Have fun and post the results!

--Rob

Thanks Rob! I've actually looked through all of those. Not much for a '53 Startlet, but I think that's what I have here. I'm torn whether I should repaint as it's all in pretty nice shape, but I'm missing the headlight and rear rack, so I may move forward with a restore. Thanks for the help!
EDIT: So, I'm pretty positive this is a '53 Starlet. It looks just like the old ads and pics others have posted of their starlets on these forums, but all the information I can find indicates that this wasn't one of the paint schemes offered. It appears to be original paint. Has anyone out there seen a red and white Starlet?

That's a DX. If it were a 26" bike it would be a D37X but I don't know the exact model number of the 24" version. A lot of the 50's Schwinns didn't have names, only model numbers. Gary

Thanks for the help. Any idea what this thing is worth? I paid $120 for it, so I don't think I did too bad (hopefully)

mooseknuckle2000 said:
Thanks for the help. Any idea what this thing is worth? I paid $120 for it, so I don't think I did too bad (hopefully)

Not too bad. Prices on these bikes have gone kind of nuts in the 10 years I've been out of the hobby.

mooseknuckle2000 said:
EDIT: actually looks more similar to this (Hornet?) http://oldroads.com/oldroads_files/337_9.jpg
EDIT #2: I think it may be a Starlet. Can anyone confirm?

It's probably not a starlet, they had chrome plated rims. If you must give it a name, it is closest to a hornet. Does it have factory holes in the front fender for a light? Is there any ghosting outline of a decal on the chainguard? Is there any evidence of missing rack - marks on the paint where it would have been clamped? Spot rubbed bare on top of fender where it would have touched?

From what I've seen, the Starlet didn't always have chrome plated fenders. Mine looks very much like the bike pictured here (hope it's okay to link)...
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21207
I didn't notice a name on the chainguard, but upon closer inspection, it appears to have very faint ghosting of the word BREEZE (in all caps). There are holes and marks for a headlight. Don't see any clamp marks for rear rack. There is some paint rubbed bare on top of the rear fender, but I think it might be too far back to be from a rack rubbing. Here are some pics (if you can make any of the lettering out, the "B" starts just right of the rivet)...
IMG_20121231_105754_zps1b61f587.jpg

IMG_20121231_105650_zps2b7dfdea.jpg

mooseknuckle2000 said:
From what I've seen, the Starlet didn't always have chrome plated fenders. Mine looks very much like the bike pictured here (hope it's okay to link)...
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21207

The bike you linked has the chrome rims, and it has the earlier style 3 color "darts" paint scheme, which on close analysis shares very little with the later style 2 color "scroll" scheme of your bike.

I can't tell from your pics... is yours a skip tooth? The most deluxe models, like Starlet, tended to use 1/2 in chain drivelines.

I wouldnt paint it. Do a OOOO Steel wool rub with a liquid polish. Wax her up. Its a survivor. Do a paint job, and its not worth any more . And ya have all the labor and cost of paint in it.JMHO

Voyager Al said:
I wouldnt paint it. Do a OOOO Steel wool rub with a liquid polish. Wax her up. Its a survivor. Do a paint job, and its not worth any more . And ya have all the labor and cost of paint in it.JMHO

Maybe clean up, paint, and re-cover (seat) and pedals would hurt any thing.

Voyager Al said:

Do not be confused, if you paint this bike you are doing it for your own entertainment. You will destroy it's inherent value as a collectible, and reduce it to a parts bike... "Act in haste, repent at leisure."

Back