12 volt battery

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you guys ever used one of them 12 volt rechagable batteries (for kids Power wheels or other riding toys) on your bikes to power a 12volt headlight, horns and such? I was thinking of using one but don't want to purchase it if they won't work. Them being rechargable definitelty gives them an advantage over the regular bike lights.

Also what about 12v power tool batteries?

I use a 12v sealed lead acid battery to run a homemade light for night riding my mountain bike. It's a 4Ah battery that's about 3"x4"x6" that's sealed in plastic and has two spade terminals on the top. It's the kind used in Emergency exit lights and such, and cost me about $16 at a Batteries Plus. The only drawback is it weighs about 4 lbs, which sux on a mtb.
On the other hand, you can recharge it with a $10 auto store trickle charger, and I run a 50 WATT HALOGEN light for about an hour with it. THe only guys with brighter lights are $400 HID sets.

So, if you have a 12v battery laying around from a powerwheels, sure it will work. Mounting strategies are the creative part.

Thasnks guys. It seems the Nicad set up is the way to go! I wasn't even thinking R/C when I wrote this! Sometimes it's hard to think when my heads stuck in my butt! :wink:
I'll let you guys know what I come up with.
Thanks,
Chainsaw

Chainy..
The "Home Alarm Batteries" are 12 Volt.
Theirs a Guy on my Cruiser Ride that Powers a Horn From a 1922
Model T Ford with it..and that horn draws a LOT OF POWER..
and it is flipin LOAD>

The Alarm Batteries are a touch Smaller and Deep Cycle.

peace,
Kev.

Back