Worksman BMX- Finally Finished Pictures on Pg. 6

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Worksman BMX

MIGZ said:

Funny you mention that, looks like you ran into the same issue as I did when I build my first worksman frame.

Check out my previous build I have pics of sanded shims.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49936&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Oh yeah; I remember that thread! I hadn't put together that you're the same guy.

The first worksman I built, ran into weird issues. I cam veyr close to getting the porkchop fork, but my intuition saved me when I decided to remeasure the thing. I knew that a regular road/mini 1" threaded headset wouldn't work, but I figured the outsized bmx size would. I was wrong, but it needed only a bit of aluminum to shim it; I recall that you had to sand down some 34mm 1.125" shims to get them to fit the 30.0mm cups. Different ways to achieve the same results.

That first worksman, I put some landing gear forks on there. They didn't need any modification, but they do take the 26.4mm crown race. Don't you wish these "standards" were more standard?

Next one I build, I'm going to try to run 1.125" threadless...

Bicycle808 said:
MIGZ said:

Funny you mention that, looks like you ran into the same issue as I did when I build my first worksman frame.

Check out my previous build I have pics of sanded shims.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49936&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Oh yeah; I remember that thread! I hadn't put together that you're the same guy.

The first worksman I built, ran into weird issues. I cam veyr close to getting the porkchop fork, but my intuition saved me when I decided to remeasure the thing. I knew that a regular road/mini 1" threaded headset wouldn't work, but I figured the outsized bmx size would. I was wrong, but it needed only a bit of aluminum to shim it; I recall that you had to sand down some 34mm 1.125" shims to get them to fit the 30.0mm cups. Different ways to achieve the same results.

That first worksman, I put some landing gear forks on there. They didn't need any modification, but they do take the 26.4mm crown race. Don't you wish these "standards" were more standard?

Next one I build, I'm going to try to run 1.125" threadless...

The head set is the biggest pain in the butt

I'm on the home stretch I have about 97% of the parts. Here is a quick pic of my recent order.

photo.jpg

The only things still missing are:
- Spokes and Nipples
- Tires
- Powder Coat
- Welding Steer Tube.

I hope to have this one done by mid May.

I've been really busy with my day job that i have not been able to really toy around with this thing. Another good thing that happened was I sold my electra wheel set so he have funding to finish this one up.

Tried something a little different this time, as some may know the head tube size of the worksman frames is a bit odd. Rather than grinding on the shims I just did the head tube this method was a lot faster and a lot cleaner.

012.jpg

Also welded up the steer tube, came out perfectly straight.

IMG_20130526_00604.jpg

Should be dropping of the frame & fork for powder coat this week.

spokes and nipples came in, just finished building up the wheels and installing the freewheel. Frame and fork are still at the powdercoater, he ran out of the color I wanted so waiting on him.

Last challenge is getting the tires, does anyone know where i can get some kenda kranium 26 tires? i have searched but no one has them.

iwlw.jpg

10,000 tires and you pick something they don't make anymore. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Nice build.

Uncle Stretch said:
10,000 tires and you pick something they don't make anymore. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Nice build.

That's the story of my life a minute late and a penny short. :D

Here are both wheels complete and the front for my rrbbo8.

022.jpg

the_undecider said:
Hot looking wheels. Are those Araya rims?

I find it easier to clean tires after mounting and inflating. A rag and some Simple Green or Windex does the trick for me.

Yes sir those are NOS Araya Wheels.

Finally got the frame back from powder coating.
Installing the problem solvers, these will allow me to run a 1" head set
003.jpg

Cups for 1" sealed threaded head set
004.jpg

Here are a few more
007.jpg

010.jpg

014.jpg

Rather than using a worksman head badge I went with .....
015.jpg

Sealed bottom Bracket
021.jpg

023.jpg

Re: Worksman BMX- Updated Pictures

In the event that you don't like the "Black Ops" logo on the seat post, acetone makes it go away real quick. :D

Bike looks great so far!

Rat Rod said:
In the event that you don't like the "Black Ops" logo on the seat post, acetone makes it go away real quick. :D

Bike looks great so far!

And in the event you don't like the entire bike, I can make it go away real quick.

Thanks everyone !!!!

I'm pretty excited about this build I think this is going to be one of my favorite bikes once done. Some of the parts I have may change if this thing turn out to be a good rider. The seat will have to go so I can get something more comfortable on it.

Latest posts

Back