1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice

When is a Sears Spaceliner not a Spaceliner?

Discussion in 'BIKE I.D. & VALUATION QUESTIONS' started by expjawa, Apr 28, 2012.

1. expjawa

expjawa

OK, I know that there several answers to that question, since there were several other-branded versions of the Spaceliner. But in this case, I mean a Sears-brand bike with a Spaceliner frame that isn't a Spaceliner. Or any specific model, for that matter. I'd been looking for a Spaceliner for a build idea for a while, but it would seem that they're actually in-demand, and really never the sort of cheap I prefer. So this nearly-a-Spaceliner bike is probably perfect.

I just bought this yesterday.
    [​IMG]

For $20, I couldn't pass it up. The guy I bought it from had retreived it from a scrap yard for $0.12 per pound, so he made money on it too. Clearly, it's the double-arched, extended dropout frame of a Spaceliner. But the only badging on it says "Sears".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chainguard appears to be the standard Murray space-weight piece, the gold paint is scaley, but looks original, and it doesn't ever appear to have had a tank, OEM carriers (the one on it is aftermarket Wald), or any of the cool features of a Spaceliner. It has a single-band Bendix hub. I cleaned it up a bit with steelwool and WD40 and it looks alright:
    [​IMG]

There are numbers stamped on the dropout:
    [​IMG]
    The stamping to the far right says "1981". Could that be a year? Was Sears selling middleweight bikes that late, especially with this frame?

2. Chips_Mahoy

Chips_Mahoy

I have one identical to that. Mine is a '64 as far as I can tell. I'll post a pic in a bit.

3. kngtmat

kngtmat

That is a cool Spaceliner kind of bike I guess it could be called a Goldliner, interesting gold bike.

4. Chips_Mahoy

Chips_Mahoy

Here's mine....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. expjawa

expjawa

Wow, it is exactly the same. Save for the saddle, and your lights. How does the stamped numbering compare?

6. Chips_Mahoy

Chips_Mahoy

Ill have to look at it in the daylight....I'm not sure.

7. Rustinkerer

Rustinkerer

45502 is the Sears catalog #, plus the typical extra '0' at the end. I didn't see that exact # in my book, but it only goes to 1965, and doesn't have ALL catalog pages for every year. Most likely it's a later 60's model, a basic version of the deluxe Spaceliner. There were also Flightliners made the same way, same guard and Sears badging. -Adam