What I Rode To Work UPDATE! 5/10

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipton

Come out and ride with The Chicago TailDraggers!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This bike building thing is too much fun. I have this schwinn frame I got cheap off craigslist last fall.

Think it’s a middleweight. I thought I would put something together to cruise around the neighborhood with my sons.

I got the wheel set from Yeshoney (Thanks Joe!) for another project. I have not tried
to put the matching 24x3 nexus 4 speed rear wheel on yet.Just have a old 26 single speed on now.
Got the rat trap rack from CCR ( Thanks Jeremy!)
The all white tires came from Santa Clause (Thanks Mom&Dad!)
Seat Ebay $2.25 :mrgreen:

Started Riding this a week ago. At first I put the bars like that as a joke :shock: thinking that
I would never be able to ride with them. I just love how it looks and love to ride it
It’s actually so comfortable :mrgreen: I rode it to work all last week five miles each way. On Saturday I had the 6am shift :shock: rode down the Lake Michigan bike path eight miles.
One way no problems except when I took pics at 5:30am I was too shaky after riding for half a hour to hold the camera still enough for the long exposure time. :shock: I will have to get a tri-pod.

Things on the to-do list
* 24x3 nexus rear
* Tank
* Quick release seat post bolt to drop seat all the way down when parked :mrgreen:
* Ride it a lot more :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hope you like the pics

Thanks Skip

spring2009069.jpg

spring2009091.jpg

spring2009068.jpg

spring2009065.jpg

spring2009060.jpg

Re: What I Rode To Work

Looks great. Does that kind of seat have a lot of give? The price was sure right. I'm gonna have to try that handle bar set-up. I woulldn't imagine it's comfortable for a tall rider but your seat is set pretty high so I guess you might be. JB

Hey Skipton...Very cool bike. The photos are beautiful. Are you a professional photographer using a Deardorff camera?...Thanks for showing the artistic bike and great photos......Paul

sweet bike. is that a disc brake up front? descent. as for the early commute, try 3:45am. :shock: much respect to you for being a fellow single speed commuter, and not on a fixie roadrunner.

roadmaster said:
sweet bike. is that a disc brake up front? descent. as for the early commute, try 3:45am. :shock: much respect to you for being a fellow single speed commuter, and not on a fixie roadrunner.
They are Heavy duty vented Nexus roller brakes. I will try to post a good pic after i get the kids to bed :shock:
The best part about the bike is I work with a bunch of fixie hipsters and this bike gets more attention at the bike rack then the big money fixies :mrgreen: as for 3:45am commute I feel for you Bro.

cool commuter made more practical by that neat front rack.

I love it. I am so obsessed with white tires now. LOL

You were talking about a quick release seat post, Then my gears started going,thinking of a lowrider I seen the other day sitting on the ground in the parking lot, he had a remote control and he wasn't even outside the store yet and his car jumps up by it self,that would be a cool seat post to do something like that....just a crazy thought

Re: What I Rode To Work UPDATE! NEW PICS 4/25

ratrodpics001.jpg

Added a ratty tank today one side nice
ratrodpics002.jpg

The other more ratty. Also added new seat post a seat post clamp old post to short not enough in frame. Now I can see from pics have to lower seat a little more.
ratrodpics006.jpg

Some pics of bike rack at work with all the fixies.
ratrodpics007.jpg

ratrodpics016.jpg

pics of the front hub
ratrodpics015.jpg

ratrodpics009.jpg

Add A couple just for fun that is not snow it was really windy lots of drit and dust Also I finally remember to turn
calander off :wink:
ratrodpics008.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments Skip

What brand of disc brake is that? Where did you find that tank?

Its a shimano front roller brake hub. Looks like a disc brake but there are roller bearings in the hub that do the braking.
I did not know anything about this kind of hub till I bought them from RatRod member Yeshoney. The tank came with a box of parts when I bought a bike off craigslist. I am not sure I like they way the tank looks on this bike. Like my 8 yr old son says "Makes it look less ratrod and looks more shiny"

those fixie riders are probably wondering what the f.... lol, luv it.

Outlaw

JoeyMac said:
I bet some dudes in girl pants with bandanas were scratching their head over it. :lol:
LOL I never thought about that they are girl pants!!! I have to say the fixie guys give this old guy :shock: (37) much respect
and they do ride every day even in snow and below zero. with girl pants and no socks

Just saw this thread in @kingfish254 's buried treasure. This bike has been sitting in the basement unloved for a year or two. Pulled it out last week and rode it to work.

Love this bike!! I've ridden the snot out of this one.
Just some pics from the past five or six years.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last weeks ride to work
image.jpg

Put a nice Nexus 7 speed roller brake hub on. After the four speed finally gave out.

Now I just need to get my roller brake front wheel back from my son. :confused:

Back