Western Flyer Trophy bike, my first real rat.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always make everything real nice, so this bike was fun for a change. It's a Western Flyer Trophy, it was sold new through Western Auto stores. I bought it last weekend for $5.00. The bearings where out of the crank, but I had some on hand. After I lubed it up, and removed all the vines that were wrapped around the axles, I bobbed the fenders, installed a new Walmart whitewall 26X2.125 rear tire, then I painted the whitewall onto the cracked, and dry rotted original front tire. I'll pick up a new 26X1.75 whitewall when I get to a bike shop, but it rides good this way. The apes came off of my Shelby Stingray, and the red metalflake grips came off my Firestone bike. The rear reflector was on the rear wheel, and had an old bottle cap as a washer. I made a bracket, and hung it off the left side of the frame, and reused the bottle cap as the washer. I sprayed the bike down with insecticide, as it had some spiders still living on it, and the wasp nest had some larva still in it. Some fell out as I was working on it. I'm keeping the horn. I think Walmart sells this kind, so I'll buy a new one for the rubber bulb. As a plus, I ended up with two nice front baskets. Dean
When I brought it home
100_0577.jpg

Finished
100_0585.jpg

100_0579-1.jpg

100_0580.jpg

100_0583.jpg

100_0586.jpg

Wasps nest
100_0581.jpg

100_0582.jpg

Bottle cap washer
100_0584.jpg

Cool bike

BUT.......

Whats the story with the T Coupe ...... yours?

That NEEDS to get inside out of the weather, stuck on an A chassis and built up.

LOVE tall coupes

More bees please, I've seen bees make their hive in wierd places but never a bicycle lol

Halfdone said:
Cool bike

BUT.......

Whats the story with the T Coupe ...... yours?

That NEEDS to get inside out of the weather, stuck on an A chassis and built up.

LOVE tall coupes
The tall T is mine. I have another one too, about the same shape. One's a 26, the other is a 27. The other one's in the barn, and this one will be joining it soon. I need to clear a spot. Here's a picture of my 26 Roadster.
100_0111.jpg

Hsean said:
More bees please, I've seen bees make their hive in wierd places but never a bicycle lol
You'll like this one then. A 58 Schwinn I redid, without the Bees. I've had mud dauber nest on spokes too.
100_0110.jpg

Big Fat Whitewalls said:
The tall T is mine. I have another one too, about the same shape. One's a 26, the other is a 27. The other one's in the barn, and this one will be joining it soon. I need to clear a spot. Here's a picture of my 26 Roadster.
100_0111.jpg

Nice Roadster, I like the way it sits. How much is the chassis kicked in the rear?

One of the projects I have stashed away for later is a 27 Roadster. I want to do it on an A chassis, as a 1950's speedway style car. Banger or flathead. F-100 side steer. Wires with Firestone Dirttrackers etc.
I've been collecting bits for it for 15+ years and have most of what I need, but can't find a rear section for the body. I have a couple of cowls and a great set of doors, but nothing behind the doors. I'll use tupperware if I have too. It'll be a while before I get to that, I have two pickups to finish first (and about ten bikes)
Don't suppose you have or know of any 26-27 Roadster rear panels? I'm happy to build from bits and rust repairs aren't an issue.

What are the plans for the tall T coupes ??

Very cool.......Thats a RAD horn........I agree I wouldnt remove it also......Looks really cool.......Haha the swasp nests add the its "vintage sytle"...... :) ........Love those old Western Flyers.......

God the bees nest on anything, my shed had nine bee hives in it last year, all at same time? why where there so many lol

Love the bike and the high tech washer made with a bottle cap. I'll employ that idea on my 1977 Western Flyer.

Latest posts

Back