Weekend vintage find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cruising craigslist and found this auction for 1000 bikes. I just had to check it out and the guy had at least that many bikes stashed in a barn. I came out with some good finds.... One might even be an entry into my first bike build off. Got this "patina'ed" 30's Hercules (haven't cut the hub out yet to see if it is dated) also got this sweet pre war Royal Prince that my daughter is dying to ride. Also got a 78 Raleigh 3 speed just because... as well as a 60's Peugeot road frame that has fixed gear written all over it.

hercules_zps1e5bddd4.jpg

hercules1_zpsac4ce7dc.jpg

actually if anyone has an idea of the actual dates of these bikes that would be great as well.

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited:
Haha ya maybe patina is an understatement. Going to clean it up. But no paint is going to touch the frame. It is going to get a second life.

outskirtscustoms said:
I'd lay down a coat of flat clear, new tires, and call her done!

pretty much what i have planned. rims are too far gone but the rear hub spins great. Thought about building a wheel around the hub but for now have a set of 26'ers to roll on with some fat tires.

Hey Tucker it is a Perry hub and I snapped that shot of the back of the brake arm. Is that a 9 or a 19 to you? or a 6?

Cheers,

Dave

Pretty smooth tear down so far and the frame is in solid condition as well as the fenders. Let the fun begin.

That is an awesome ride you have there. A direction I can't see myself going (based on skillset. haha). Your frame is the same as mine which changes my guesstimate on the age but the brake arm adds to my confusion.lol It isn't a big deal really, I just think it is my OCD that compels me to find out.

After a couple of road bikes took me away from this build I have finally given it the attention it deserves. I cleaned up the frame and fork (it wasn't rusted to s**t like I thought it was.... it was actually a light brown paint job) and replaced the headset bearings and greased 'er up. Sprayed a few coats of clear and ready to reassemble the rest. Everything will be original including the rear wheel. Only thing I couldn't save was the front rim.
IMG_00002968_edit_edit_zps2bf78477.jpg
IMG_00002970_edit_zps9eac7594.jpg
IMG_00002969_edit_zps0079a043.jpg

These frames are so Bomber-like. Love it!

Threw a set of 28" wheels and tires from a 66' J C Higgins bike I had and polished them up. Need to find a new chain and finish with all the accessories then she's good to go.
IMG_00003005_edit_zpsc56286fa.jpg

Last edited:
Well I know bikes are never fully "complete" since we are always tweaking and adding and changing but I have this Herc ready to roll. On my way to pick up a chain and rip around the block on it. @tucker I never did get a definite date on the bike but its all good.
IMG_00003058_edit_zps622596d8.jpg

IMG_00003059_edit_zps7f59e804.jpg

IMG_00003062_edit_zps7181b3ad.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Back