water slide decals

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I've seen people use water slide decals here,both custom and restoration. My question is where do you get them?

I've seen them on eBay advertised as N.O.S. but are they really or do people just use the water slide paper sold at office supply stores?

The reason I ask is because I have an old schwinn typhoon that I'd like to get decals for in a custom color. So what is the best way to do this?

I print my own on an inkjet photo printer, just get the white or clear paper whichever you want, do your art ( I use Inkscape) , print it in hi res mode for transparencies and clear coat it. they work great!

KIMG0061_zpsuz7jmgev.jpg

I print my own on an inkjet photo printer, just get the white or clear paper whichever you want, do your art ( I use Inkscape) , print it in hi res mode for transparencies and clear coat it. they work great!

KIMG0061_zpsuz7jmgev.jpg
Cool,thanks for the tip

KIMG0061_zpsuz7jmgev.jpg
Could you explain in a little more detail? Looks like a good process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get my paper on ebay and use Testors decal bonder to seal them so the ink wont run when wet. once you print them out and seal them, its just a matter of cutting em out, getting em wet and sliding em on.

yes, thats the guy I buy from on ebay..

I have never used the Testors paper but the bonder spray works great.

Set your printer to high resolution or high quality for transparencies.

The brand I used I purchased at an office supply store and it recommended krylon crystal clear spray to coat it for protection.

One quick point of order: you will commonly be unable to print white--that's what the white decal paper is for. (Some high-end printers do white, but they're rare.)

The trick to using white paper is to set your image background to the same color as your bike. Trimming becomes a much easier chore and the chance that white will show through where you don't want it is eliminated. Does that make sense?

Lots of great responses here,glad I asked.
With what I'm learning here I think I'll be able to do what I'm hoping for.
Thanks everyone and keep the good info coming.

Back