Very thin brake washers/spacers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
In a caliper brake, along the center bolt, between the arms, and then the spring, there are very thin washers. Does anyone know what to call them so I can look them up to buy some? Or where to get some? They are super thin, and brass maybe? Weinmann used them. Excell used felt, maybe Diacompe too. I'd like to get the metal ones.

In a caliper brake, along the center bolt, between the arms, and then the spring, there are very thin washers. Does anyone know what to call them so I can look them up to buy some? Or where to get some? They are super thin, and brass maybe? Weinmann used them. Excell used felt, maybe Diacompe too. I'd like to get the metal ones.

I believe what your looking for is called a wafer washer, which is actually a spring. The regular thin flat washer are just called shim washers.

Also do a search for either Dia-comp washers, or Dra-comp brake bolts and you should find exactly what your looking for.

Last edited:
That knifemaker link looks like it may have the right fit. I'll have to measure size. The Niagra link seems too thick, and old caliper brakes don't use wavy washers, but that's a cool source.

Thanks!

Miniature modellers use lots of tiny and very thin brass and stainless washers, specially on those tiny steam engines...

:thumbsup:

Hobby stores can be a great "last resort" for small, hard-to-find parts!

I searched high and low to try to find some TINY O-rings for my Rock Shox Mag 21 fork -- the ones that fit into the needle valves at the top of each shock for air pressure adjustment. Because the fork is so old, no bike stores in town had anything like them, but I found some at a hobby store that sells higher-end radio-controlled vehicles. The ones I bought are a perfect fit, but were apparently designed to be used in RC helicopters!

(And no, my "helicopter O-rings" do NOT help me "catch more air." :21: )

I searched high and low to try to find some TINY O-rings for my Rock Shox Mag 21 fork

Wait, you rebuilt a Mag 21? I did one of those back in 1999/2000 and my service manager was giving me some strange looks, as in, why the heck are you doing that? Nowadays that fork has some vintage mtb value, I recently sold a Mag 21 SL Ti, but I wasnt going to be the guy overhauling it! Props, nowadays if it isnt a Fox or modern enough Rock Shox I dont bother rebuilding them, but I am still rocking 10yr old Fox forks on my current mtb. I am not one of those guys that must have the latest and greatest.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Wait, you rebuilt a Mag 21? I did one of those back in 1999/2000 and my service manager was giving me some strange looks, as in, why the heck are you doing that?

Sadly, I don't have the skills OR the parts needed to rebuild that fork that only has a couple of seasons of actual use -- I just wanted to keep it going until the day comes when it finally loses a seal. When that happens, it will be time to decide if I want a newer mountain bike with better technology or if I'll just replace the fork with a newer one.

I am not one of those guys that must have the latest and greatest.

Neither am I! I bought my Stumpjumper FS SE back in '94 when I was young and (mostly) indestructible, had a good job and more disposable income, and was spending most weekends on local trails. Then "life happened" and I stopped riding it for many years, and I slowly got old enough that I now worry a little more about how long it's going to take me to heal if I wreck it. :21: When I REALLY got back into riding, it was because of this site, and now I spend most of my time on "rat-ified" modern cruisers (on pavement) and my mountain bike is still mostly gathering dust in the garage.

The vintage mtb market is starting to pop off, the early-mid 90s stuff is increasing in value. Us guys that grew up reading mtb action in High School are buying the dream bikes we wanted back then I think. Not telling you to sell yours, hold onto it for as long as you can, keep it in good shape, and ride it as often as you can, even if it isnt in its inteneded environment!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

I know you said metal... but I'm thinking those shims add a bit of "slipperyness" to the stack of parts on the mounting bolt. I'd make them out of a bit of clorox bottle. Cut out a piece, pierce it with a leather punch to the correct size for the bolt and trim to fit with a small scissors. Thin and slick.

Guitarl.

Back