Update on the stretch bikes - video added 12/17/07

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother, Paul, rode my Chief this summer and decided he liked the laid back feel of a "pedals forward" frame design. So he decided to try stretching a regular bike frame to see if he could build something similar rather than spending the money to buy a new one like I did.

The first project was what we kiddingly called the Bumble Bee bike - because of the paint job. It was also a little unusal because he used the T rail from a Craftsman garage door opened to build the top tube on the bike.

FR1.jpg

u.jpg

By the way, I am in the process of painting this one a medium blue color so it will no longer be a bumble bee.

Paul's next attempt at a frame stretch was done using a road bike frame. This one we called Onan - because he painted it with some green paint he had left over from painting an Onan generator.

b.jpg

mine1.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

After doing a couple of stretch jobs he decided he really needed a jig and fortunately for him, his wife had someone give her a large metal rolling cart. So he used that to build an adjustable jig for his future builds.

J1.jpg

The bike in the jig had some issues and ended up in the trash. It was originally slated to be a Worksman look alike.

The next stretch bike was appropriately named "OJ". This one was done using another rode bike frame. Initially he added some extra bars to fill in the open area in the middle of the frame but later decided to kill that idea. This one ended up being his favorite so he put his 3 speed Nexus wheels on it along with a triple tree fork and it became his daily rider.

SPDR2.jpg

oj8.jpg

The following stretch job was done using an unusual looking bike that had apparently been run over and eventually made it's way to the metal salvage company. The curved frame is what caught Paul's eye on that one and I think he gave the scrap yard $3 for it.

JUNK1.jpg

STRE1.jpg

STRE2.jpg

lr2.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

Then he ran across a deal on a beach cruiser and planned to just paint it and resell it. He threw on a set of ape hangers and some decent tires and it was looking pretty good as is - and waiting for some fresh paint. But he said his portaband saw kept calling him so the cruiser also got the stretch treatment - and a springer to boot.

D.jpg

spr2.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

Paul has decided that this one is actually more comfortable to ride than OJ, so now he has a delima on which one will end up being his daily rider and what parts he will use on what.

Which takes us to the latest project. I had Steve buy me a Murray Mixtie up in Dallas a couple of months ago because it had a cruiser width 3 speed SA coaster brake rear end on it. I mainly wanted to use the wheels off of it on Onan - which I did and so Onan now has a 3 speed on it.

That left another unusual frame available for a stretch. So this one is in progress and will soon be ready for paint. On this one Paul cut off the center Mixtie bars, turned them upside down, and made twin top bars out of them. It also got a mild stretch in the process and he also raked the neck on it - which gives it a long low look.

He's going to get me to do the paint job on this one. So far, though, it's looking good and it could turn out to be one of my favorite bikes once it's done. The twin top bars on it will be unique.

MX3.jpg

MXE.jpg

MXD.jpg

MXF.jpg

MXC.jpg

Who knows what the next project will be. There is always another bike frame just around the corner waiting for a stretch. :D :D

Re: Update on the stretch bikes

And here's the before shot of the above Murray before my Uncle got a hold of it.

I'm really liking what he did with it so far....very cool slant to the neck and seat tubes.

100_5756.jpg

Nice job(s)! Subtle but very effective. I like each one better than the previous one.

Paul has about 3 things going for him. (1) he has the necessary equipment - porta band saw, drill press, hand grinder, frame jig now, etc., (2) he has a welder and knows how to weld without burning too many holes in that thin pipe, and (3) he's retired ! :D :D

He's gotten where he can take a stock frame and stretch it and have it ready for paint in about a day, maybe two days max.

The biggest challenge is finding decent wheels and tires to put on them (tough when you begin with some junk bikes) and finding enough chain - since they take a cruiser chain and then some once they have been stretched. :lol: :lol:

You just can't beat good tools, know how and plenty of free time. :D

It's been fun watching his frame building skills progress.

On a side note...my Uncle Paul spent most of his time in the past building motorcycles and street rods...some pretty nice ones too.

To get a perspective of the stretch, here are a couple of shots of the red bike lined up next to a stock cruiser.

First one was taken with the cranks on both bikes in line - showing how much further back the seat post is sitting compared to the crank location.

The second one was taken as I was lined up with the rear axle on the red one - showing how much longer it is than the stock cruiser.

You can also check out the chainguard on the red one and see how much further forward it sits compared to stock being right at the rear end.

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

Okay, one more and I'm done.

This is what Paul does when he doesn't have a frame to work on ....

He built a foot for the bottom of his kickstand. Cute, huh. :lol:

FOOT.jpg

I bet that would be pretty fun cuttin and welding extensions in. The Murray looks like an extended Speedster.

Yeah....my Uncle's not really into giving lessons...ha ha. :wink:

He's basically cranking them out and giving them to my Dad to sell them.

Rat Rod said:
Yeah....my Uncle's not really into giving lessons...ha ha. :wink:

He's basically cranking them out and giving them to my Dad to sell them.

ok well i live close so anytime yawl want to have a meet and greet or just go ridding let me know
buzzy :mrgreen:

Hooch said:
wont be long and he will be in full production of these hahaha

Yeah, no kidding....he's pretty fast at this.

Seems like I see a new one almost every other day!

Beats spending $500 on an Electra. :wink:

RatRodDad said:
The biggest challenge is finding decent wheels and tires to put on them (tough when you begin with some junk bikes) and finding enough chain - since they take a cruiser chain and then some once they have been stretched. :lol: :lol:
Nice bikes, its amazing what a 4 or 5 inch streach can do for a bike. I have found a great source for chain, if you have a place that fixes garage doors around, the older doors use bicycle chain that comes in 10' lengths. The place by me has a barrel in the corner that they throw the chain they replace to go to recycling, they are more than happy to give me some especially when I show them the finished product....Kelly

I just reposted the red bike on the Houston CL. Paul thought it looked good with blackwalls so that's what he put on it, but after seeing the listing we decided whitewalls were probably better.

As Steve mentioned, Paul's the design, cut, fix, and weld guy and then either he or I end up with the creation. I have 2 now plus he's building the black Murray Mixtie for me so that will make 3.

He has two also, the orange one and the bronze one, so he decided that was enough and that's why he's having me sell the red one.

Buzzy, you probably saw in the CL ad that I live on the NW side of Houston - so more up your way. Paul lives way south of town, though, so about a 45 mile drive for me to get to his place. So I don't get down there very often myself.

We keep the e-mail system busy, though.

Here's the red bike with whitewalls....

IMG_1735.jpg

And here is how it looked before with blackwalls ...

IMG_1727.jpg

Back