Unidentified cruiser for my wife.... aka Sweet Pea

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I found this bike recently and picked it up for the sole reason that I liked the 1964 Bozeman liscense plate.

cruiser002.jpg

Nothing too complicated here just going to break it down, blast/paint, clean/polish, add an updated saddle and grips, and throw it back together.

bikessss005.jpg

Anybody got any thoughts on what it is? It is a 24 inch bike with no numbers on it. No headbadge but the holes for one are 3 1/4 " apart.

Re: Unidentified cruiser for my wife....

I called my local blaster guy and he said if I could get it broken down, he can get it done for me tomorrow.

bikessss024.jpg

I want to tear the wheels apart so I can polish the hubs and repaint the rims. A little nervous as I have never laced a wheel before and none of the instructions I've found online mention anything about building a 24 inch 28 spoke coaster.

bikessss025.jpg

Also I discovered that one of my pedals is messed up. On one side of one pedal the rubber and yellow reflector are shot and the metal is bent. I can bend the metal back but will need to find at least another rubber piece for it.

cruiser003.jpg

looks like a 60's huffy built, My daughter has one that was Firestone badged. pretty solid bike, she loves it!

IMG_20110603_191756-1.jpg

Picked the frame fork and rims up from blasting. Looks good but I was hoping a hidden serial number might have been revealed. No luck there.

cruiser001.jpg

The top tubes have little metal caps on the ends near the back wheel, but none up front near the headtube. Anybody know where to get replacements?

Georgeediii said:
The top tubes have little metal caps on the ends near the back wheel, but none up front near the headtube. Anybody know where to get replacements?

Well, those caps are usually common on Huffys, may have been other brands too but thats what i usually find them on, wish i could help on replacements, I know theres a forum member "KRATE-MAYHEM" that had some made for a bike he was fixing up but they looked pretty spendy by most peoples standards, otherwise id guess you need to find some good take offs from somebody.

Georgeediii said:
Picked the frame fork and rims up from blasting. Looks good but I was hoping a hidden serial number might have been revealed. No luck there.

cruiser001.jpg

I found them at the hardware store in the bin drawers with the Ikea style furniture bits and screws and what not.. :roll: I cant remember exactly what they are called tho... "1/2" chrome Internal end cap" I think is what they were binned as :p

Between the weather an back surgery, it has been a difficult week to paint. Never the less it is finally green.
shannasbike002.jpg

I decided to go ahead and paint the rims as well
shannasbike006.jpg

I'm hoping to try my hand at wheelbuilding this weekend, maybe early next week.

Fascinating! Just a couple of hours apart two guys from two completely different places in the world posts pictures in the same forum of newly painted bicycle frames on look alike porches:

shannasbike002.jpg

From my "Never too late..." thread:

2803-vi.jpg

Very nice looking woman´s bike frame and well done paint job Georgeediii!

Håkan

HotRodHocke I've been following your build, all the builds actually. It is looking good. The pictures of our front porches are more than a little erie. If your house number is 230, I might have to rethink my view of the universe.

Thanks! Our house number is 20, close, but hopefully this is still just a coincidence even if I heard people say coincidences do not happen.

Håkan

Thank you Scrumblero! I found 1/2" crome end caps at my local hardware store.
shannasbike010.jpg

Perfect fit and they only cost me 80 cents each.
shannasbike012.jpg

They make a huge difference.

nice! lookin very good for a first time. :D

That green color is awesome!

Really looking forward to following this build. Keep it up!

I finally got the wheels put together and tires on with a little help from a friend. We ended up having to take the brake apart to relace the spokes. I was in over my head a bit, but we got it figured out.

wheels001.jpg

wheels003.jpg

I am itching to start putting the bike together but I am still waiting on a couple of parts.

Lookin good, I have the exact same frame and have no idea what it is if I remember right someone on here told me it was a murray

:shock: nice, not gonna show it too my wife case she gets any ideas :D

I had some time on my hands so I went to a thrift store looking for leather. I came home with this bag for a dollar. Less usable leather than I expected once I cut it up but it worked. I need to find some grips to go with the seat I found on clearance at K-Mart this winter for $7.50
bellsandfringes001.jpg

bellsandfringes005.jpg

bellsandfringes007.jpg

I found this bell at a toy store for 4 bucks. Suspiciously similar to Electra's $15 bell but with a bug instead of an E at the center. I had to paint the bug green to match the rest of the bike.
bellsandfringes003.jpg

Georgeediii said:
I found this bell at a toy store for 4 bucks. Suspiciously similar to Electra's $15 bell but with a bug instead of an E at the center. I had to paint the bug green to match the rest of the bike.
bellsandfringes003.jpg

I like your attention to detail.

Latest posts

Back