Tybee Siren

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc!!! Lookin' good 8) Lots of progress since the last time I checked this thread :shock: Keep it up :D

Thanks Young'n! Progress has been a bit slower than I would have liked, but once I have everything in paint, it should come together quickly (except for the wheels/hubs, that is :roll: )

Speaking of progress, what's going on with your BO07 bike? Have you been spending all your free time on the El Guapo? (I know I would) :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Yes I have! :mrgreen: That bike is awesome :D I worked on it today, check it out :wink:

Re: Tybee Siren - FINALLY some color! 7/8

OK, technically, I painted it the frame before vacation, but i figured I'd let it 'cure' before posting anything.

So, here's the frame in blue/ivory with two coats of gloss clear.
DSCF3546.jpg

So, today I get back from Tybee Island and find a box from Husky Bicycles. I'm getting a little 'pressure' to get this bike built (right kingfish?), so I'm scraping the Worksman rims and I bought a new front wheel with 12 ga. spokes and a matching rim (gonna take it to a new LBS to get it laced tomorrow). The wheel decent for $20, the tire looks great on it!
DSCF3552.jpg

DSCF3553.jpg

OK, so while I was on a roll, I decided to pinstripe between the blue and ivory and lay on the 'Von Dutch' style pinstriping and add the mermaid decal. Still have to clear coat tomorrow.
P.S. I STINK at taking pictures :roll:
DSCF3554.jpg

DSCF3555.jpg

DSCF3561.jpg

Now on to my nemesis, those darn fenders! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Oh, but they were just subtle little hints for you to

GIT TA BUILDIN!!!!!

Looking sweet. Just remember to tell the LBS to be careful not to scratch your rim when they lace it up.

Did you do the pinstripes or are those the pinstripe decals?

Love the mermaid.

Lookin Good!!!! I like those pin stripes,nice job 8) :mrgreen:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
OK, so while I was on a roll, I decided to pinstripe between the blue and ivory and lay on the 'Von Dutch' style pinstriping and add the mermaid decal. Still have to clear coat tomorrow.
DSCF3555.jpg

Now on to my nemesis, those darn fenders! :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Dr. T
Those stripes came out SWEEEEET Dr. T 8) 8)

Thanks for the complimets guys, I'll definitely remind them to be careful on the rim. I've never used them before, but they were a sponsor of the Ham Jam 2 back in April, so I want to give back a little 'bike love' ya know?

The straight pinstripes are 1/16" tape, the 'Von Dutch' style ones are decals from eBay.
Here's a link to their store, the quality is execellent and you can pick the colors so they are 'custom made' for you.
http://stores.ebay.com/Twisted-Chrome?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I tested clear coating on a scrap decal piece with gloss Krylon and it turned out great, gonna 'go for it' later on today.

Today is my last day off before a CRAZY July at work, so I better GTB while I can!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Well, progress has been slow due to life... :roll: But, I have been able to get the BB back together, along with the Felt pedals.

IMG_20120801_214051.jpg

IMG_20120801_214100.jpg

Here's shot of the 'finished' rear rack. I need to redo some of the pinstriping though.
IMG_20120801_214245.jpg

The forks are finished too, including some striping. See, Krylon (the blue, ivory and clear coat) CAN live along side the Rustoleum orange!
IMG_20120801_214155.jpg

The rear fender is finished, I turned the reflector into a tail light too!
IMG_20120801_214032.jpg

My wife LOVES Chime's ginger chews, so this little tin will be positioned under the rear rack and house the switch and battery. Thinking of using magnets to attach it...
IMG_20120801_214233.jpg

That's about it for now, the front fender fell while the paint was drying so I get to do it over AGAIN! Spokes for the rear wheel are one their way from ind-chuckz (thanks again sir!)

So, stay tuned...

Cheers,
Dr. T

Looking sweet tank! Maybe you will get done in time to take it Tybee next July 4th? :p
The ginger chew can is a nice touch.

HAHAHAHAAAA!! If I'm lucky.. :roll: I envy you and your already laced up Nexus 7...UGH! I can't wait until I try to get the Japanese drum brake hub i bought laced into an 80mm wide 24" rim. THAT will be 'interesting'. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kingfish254 said:
Looking sweet tank! Maybe you will get done in time to take it Tybee next July 4th? :p
The ginger chew can is a nice touch.

Cleaned up the spokes and nipples, dropped them off at Evolution Bikes today, hopefully I'll have a rear wheel by mid-week!
DSCF3578.jpg

wired up the reflector-turned-tail light, installed the rear fender and rack, mocked up the front end too. Progress, right?
DSCF3579.jpg

DSCF3580.jpg

I think the paint is a good match to the graphics on the Electra seat.
DSCF3581.jpg

Gonna try to get to fixing the front fender tomorrow, weather and wife permitting... :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Both of which can roar like thunder!!!! :mrgreen:

Looking sweet Tank!

Woo Hoo! Picked up the rear wheel today from Evolution Bikes! Thanks ind-chuckz for making it happen with those monstrous spokes! I'm gonna keep this wheel for a looooong time!

DSCF3583.jpg

I really like this tread pattern for a 'custom' bike build, the wheel/tire combo adds to the vibe of the updated drivetrain.

DSCF3584.jpg

This was BY FAR the hardest part of this build, looks like I'm running out of excuses... :oops:

Stay tuned for some updates over the weekend, wouldn't a rider be nice? :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Way to go Tank!!!
That is who I bought my Nexus 7 hub for Flexy.
Those spokes are epic!!!!!!

Tybee Siren - she's a roller/rider!

Well made some decent progress on her.
Got the rear wheel on, chain on (had to buy a second one for length). Just have to cable up the Nexus 7, got family stuff and yard chores this weekend, but maybe..... :roll: P.S. pardon the grease everywhere on it, or not! :mrgreen:

The fork detail came out nicely, it may get truss rods still, dunno yet.
DSCF3588.jpg

DSCF3589.jpg

DSCF3587.jpg

It almost looks like a full size bike from this angle. :wink:
DSCF3586.jpg

Next pics will be the 'finished for now' ones, see you then.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thats a good lookin ride Dr T 8) :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back