Turning a coaster brake into a free coaster, have you done this mod ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I have modded my Genesis Super 32" 's coaster brake rim to function like a free coaster. Watched a few youtube videos on how people have done this, they basically removed the clutch spring and the brake plates from inside the coaster brake hub and added a few washers in to compensate for the space inside of the hub and put it back together and screwed the cog back into the clutch mechanism with little gap and put the other parts back as usual, but you still need to attach your brake arm to the frame, but this mod intrigued me because now i don't have to invest in a freewheel hub, and will be able to add a caliper brake soon. Was wondering if any of you have done this to any of your bikes with coaster brakes, and how did you feel about the mod ?

@SSG That's cool too, but I wonder if they still make those though, but the coaster brake mod makes for a good cheap alternative for bikes with coaster brakes. This vid has the best explanation for it iMO:

Honestly i do not really understand the practicality of it. Apart from the fact it can be made out of existing coaster hub instead of buying a new one with freewheel. Is there an actual difference between how freewheel and this freecoaster act? Why do people use them instead of normal freewheels?

@Starnger If you're like me and like to take any chance to save any kind of money, I'm willing to try anything LOL, and yeah not too much of a difference besides taking away parts and modding it basically, and not worrying to have to rebuild a rim with a freewheel hub, and since the bike the rim i modded was a 48 spoke rim i really didn't want to have to pay to get it rebuilt since i didn't want to mess up on the rebuild of the rim myself.

Honestly i do not really understand the practicality of it. Apart from the fact it can be made out of existing coaster hub instead of buying a new one with freewheel. Is there an actual difference between how freewheel and this freecoaster act? Why do people use them instead of normal freewheels?

There's loads of tricks that you can't do if you have to pedal backwards while rolling backwards and many more that not having to back pedal makes a lot easier.

Also, a coaster should coast more freely as there isn't that little bit of drag from the ratchet mechanism. And it's silent, always good if you're trying to sneak about without being noticed.

When I was doing this mod, I found it best to use one washer and keep the spring in the brake mechanism, but bend the two small tabs that usually enter the part it usually sits in.

Latest posts

Back