Trauma-Free Tire Changing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hey, guys. I'm looking for a little help with swapping out some tires and doing it with the least amount of trauma possible to my rims. This is my first post asking for help and although this question may sound silly to all the seasoned vets out there I'm not really a bicycle newbie. For the first time in my bicycle building life, however, I sprung for three super nice re-chromed wheel sets. These all came with new tires on them and I want to swap out the rubber on a gorgeous set of Morrow wheels.

I always just grabbed a couple of straight screwdrivers and pry an edge of one tire off and have never cared much about the rims because I have never had anything this nice. So does anyone have any advice as to what tools and techniques they use when you're really worried about scuffing or gouging a pricey wheel/rim? Any help is very much appreciated!

BTW, my name (obviously) is Wade and I'm a huge fan of what's going on around here.

I bought a pair of el-cheapo "Bell" brand levers and they worked great for 6 months and maybe 10 tire changes then something happened to the plastic and thet just started bending and breaking - wore out I guess... Stoopid wallyworld junk.

http://www.birdlegsbicycles.com/pro...8XSc6nx5H28b1qoGopsPjwNxK0dfae4eN9RoCQd3w_wcB
qktl6c%20zoom.jpg

I have to say that for skinny wheels and tyres I like the levers with the hook to go round a spoke, it means that you can use 2 more levers to get the tyre started when removing.

Plastic/resin/composite tire levers are great, and I agree that the ones with the "spoke hook" can be even more useful!

Another device that I've found handy is the Quik-Stik "tire changer" -- it's essentially one longer lever with an end that's thicker and more curved so it's even less likely to damage a tube. It's probably better for tires that aren't quite as tight on the rim -- I haven't changed a skinny road bike tire in a while and can't see myself only using that tool for those -- but I like having, using, and occasionally "mix and matching" both types of levers.

I have to say that for skinny wheels and tyres I like the levers with the hook to go round a spoke, it means that you can use 2 more levers to get the tyre started when removing.

I guess you're dealing with skinny road wheels, since middleweight and balloons will come off with fingers. The levers will do the job.

I guess you're dealing with skinny road wheels, since middleweight and balloons will come off with fingers. The levers will do the job.
Yes, I was referring to my tourer that has 700c x 25 mm tyres. The back tyre on the rat is easy to get off but the 16" front tyre is somewhat more difficult.

IME, older stuff comes off more easily. I've dealt with knuckle-bustin' tire/rim combos of all sizes-- some mtb set-ups are tough, too. It seems to depend on the manufacturers in question, the tire's width in relation to the rims width, and probably some variations from the factory. Vittoria tires are the worst; nice quality rubber, but the bead is reallllllly tight on the rim. Tough to get on or off,and thy make some 26x1.75 rubber. Conversely, I've found that Schwalbe road tires go on/off with little or no hassle, in most cases.

It's funny you say that. I have a set of old hd steel wheels I tried a few different tires on them. Felt quick bricks were so hard to get on and off them and I could never get them to stay round.

Yea, tire/rim fitments can be troublesome. B808 sums it up above really. You never know. I have had problems with some high end 26 x 2.35" German MTB tires not seating cleanly on high end Mavic rims, but have had no problems with cheap Seyoun NJK Korean tires in the same size seating perfectly on a similar Mavic rim. Who knows how it goes sometimes..

last time i painted rims and had trouble getting the tires on , i used a piece of a old inner tube under the screw driver ;) my plastic levers also bend :(

Screw drivers are the worse to use as it can damage rims, tires, and worse yet punctured tubes..
when I were a kid... I used a flattened table spoon.. now days I just use my fingers, just pinch and pull tires off, it is faster than stumbling around looking for something to pry with..

The newer tires definitely seem much wider and easier to take off and re-install than the older, broken-in vintage rubber I'm used to. I popped the Grand Typhoons off the Morrows with my fingers and put some Fat Franks back on and it was easy as pie. They peeled right off. I don't ever remember tires coming off and then going back on any easier. I'm embarrassed I began this conversation even though I learned some great stuff. I was definitely sweating this process needlessly.

Had a heck of a time getting my fat tires back on the rim. Hit the edges with wd-40 and problem solved. The auto tire shops always swab on some soap and water, that may give you another idea.

I do have to say, however, I was a little humored and slightly dismayed that after paying as much as I did for these 3 sets of rims and tires that one of the two tubes I have seen thus far had a patch on it, lol. If you're going to sell me spotless prewar Morrows you should at the very least give me a kick ... tube in there!

I do have to say, however, I was a little humored and slightly dismayed that after paying as much as I did for these 3 sets of rims and tires that one of the two tubes I have seen thus far had a patch on it, lol. If you're going to sell me spotless prewar Morrows you should at the very least give me a kick ... tube in there!
Ya, you never know what you will find inside a tire. My Schwinn Cruiser Four had a 26x1 3/8 tube inside the 26 x 2.125 rear tire. My SIL bought a like new english 3 speed bike, went to change the tire cause it rolled "funny" and found a 27" tube pushed into the 26" wheel and FOLDED on top of itself inside! :eek:

Latest posts

Back