Transporting your bikes. UPDATE! CHECK THIS OUT!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully some of you can help me out with ideas for transporting our bikes. I have a full-size truck with a 6 foot bed. Up until now I have transported only one bike at a time. I position the bike upside down on the seat and handlegrips. I pass a ratchet strap through the front wheel and dog it down. That's great for ONE bike, but what about two? I'm thinking upright, one facing forward, one back, but I don't want them falling over or banging into each other. Has anyone built a secure stand in a truck bed for transporting two bikes? Pictures? Thanks!

Re: Transporting your bikes.

i too have a full size shortbed, but mines a stepside. i still got 4' between wheelwells though. best ones ive seen use an old quick releaseto hold the fork in place securely. im sure someone here has done it and has a pic, i havent built one yet. by the way, my 26" mtb just barely fits with the tailgate closed on my 6' shortbed. a rack built in this manner would give more room for length as the front wheel would be removed.

A few options that I know of.
Both facing forward, strap from each bike to outside anchor and then strap stems of frames together. So you are basically pulling the bikes away from each other toward the outside of the bed but holding them up by attaching them together. Then just strap the tail end to the outside. May have to angle them to close the gate if you care about that..
You can also turn one forward and one backward and attach as you noramlly would. I always keep them upright though.

55ColumbiaBuilt said:
I'm okay with leaving the tailgate down as I have a contractor toolbox behind the cab. Also, my Rollfast has a "Springer" fork and front wheel removal/reattachment is a real pain!
Definatly. I see what you mean. I dunno if they have a grabbing style rack. Where an arm comes up and grabs the downtube. It sometimes doesnt work, but it might be my car. i dont want it hanging over the front or back of the rack.

I'm pretty sure this was posted a long time ago, probably why I've saved it. This can be built and used in a pick up bed. Check it out.
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/
EDIT: above link won't take you to the "bike rack"....Type bike rack in search...Then about 1/3 the way down will be "Make your own bike rack".

I bought a used two bike rack for $10. I use it in my Honda Element. Bikes stay standing, and stay in place.
004-16.jpg

005-17.jpg

I have loaded up to 4 bikes at the same time facing forward by strapping them through the handlebars or the forks while in the upright position. I posted 2 pictures to give you an Idea. I have even used 1 tie down for 2 bikes at the same time. It will take some time learning what works best. I also let the bike lean just a bit towards the kickstand in case they come loose a bit, the kickstand will hold them up enough time to get things fixed. I have never had a bike fall or lean to where it causes any of the bikes to touch. The rear tires will most likely lift up so I put 1 strap across all the bikes by the rear wheel so they can all stay in place, like I did with the new belgium.

I also have a 6 foot bead and this method has also worked with the tailgate down when I used to have 2 dyno roadsters loaded and 2 regular size cruisers

I have also been thinking of getting something like this that I can put in place for up to 4 bikes: http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... FkQ8gIwBQ#

IMG_20101203_101549.jpg

IMG_20101204_141749.jpg

IMG_20101203_101539.jpg

If you want to go for cheap use a piece of railing or a chunk of bike rack with 3" spacing.
Marty (10/18 kustoms) has a piece of bike rack I believe in the of he's truck, put one wheel in the rack and strip down the other end. I use two strips per bike and strip them together, stem to seat post and then to the side of the bed. I put 4 to 5 in my Avalanche and it's works good.

wait your saying we need transportation for our transportation? :mrgreen:

dos cruiser said:
If you want to go for cheap use a piece of railing or a chunk of bike rack with 3" spacing.
Marty (10/18 kustoms) has a piece of bike rack I believe in the of he's truck, put one wheel in the rack and strip down the other end. I use two strips per bike and strip them together, stem to seat post and then to the side of the bed. I put 4 to 5 in my Avalanche and it's works good.

I have a 4' bike rack that the city gave me. It just fits between the wheel wells in the back of my Dakota. I can hold 4 bikes if I alternate front and back. I then take my rachet strap and weave between the bikes' stems on the forward facing and seat post on the backwards and the rack. I then take a second strap an go across the other end of the bikes to the stake pockets. I will snap a pic tomorrow.

Ok, so I missed the point. My surfboard rack was designed to have room for one bike on the right side (hard to see in this shot. It has room for wetsuit and towel storage underneath, it has a removable board that goes on top for more storage. The rack is attached to the rear third seat mounting points and is held in by locking pins. It is removed in seconds so a family load of bicycles can go in.

cpodom-BOARD-RACK-01.jpg

I came up with a pretty simple fix for my pickup . I took a 1/2 sheet of 3/4'' plywood and cut it around my fenderwells. I drilled a hole in the middle and put a eye bolt sticking up with a big washer on the bottom and another on the top with nuts to make it solid. Then in the front I made two channels out of two 2x4's a foot long. Stood them up the 3 1/2'' way and screwed them to the plywood from the bottom. They stopped the wheels from turning any. Then just took two pairs of cheap motorcycle tie downs and went from my hooks in the bed to the bars on the outsides and the bars to the eye bolt on the insides. If you weren't hauling bikes , pull the whole thing out , because it wasn't hooked to anything , and when you did haul bikes the outside tie downs would hold the whole thing rock solid. I would trot out and take a picture , but my wife wrecked my truck...got a van now. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i didnt give any thought to the non quick release wheels on most bikes. besides, i like uncle stretches idea better, and thats probably how i'll build mine.

Not too artistic tonight , but this will give you some idea. The 2x4 troughs keep the wheels from turning and they are at the front. With tiedowns on my bikes I could leave the tail gate down and nothing was moving. I wound up just using a nut on the bottom of the plywood and then tightened it alot and pulled the nut into the plywood . Then ground off the eye bolt where it didn't scratch my bed. If your bed has the humps this may not be necessary.
DSCF0001-9.jpg

^^^thats what i was originally thinking of. anyhow, theres more than one way to skin a cat, and i dont really think any of them are wrong.

highship said:
Just think how many you could get in there without the people :lol:

untitled.jpg
:lol: It's easy when you don't have to worry about scratches! When I picked up those 27 bikes last summer, I borrowed my boss' crew cab dually, and just stacked them yp in the bed with the tailgate down! :lol: I did run some straps through, and had to stop for one readjustment. -Adam

Latest posts

Back