Toadster....Lime '64 Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bike is already built but I haven't done an official thread so I hope this is OK.

The story with this bike is I saw a green Mazda parked in my neighborhood while I was restoring this Midget Stingray for my son (will have to do another thread for that one I suppose).

Anyway I remember thinking that would be a good match for the early Schwinn lime green. Didn't realize at the time the lime green was only the first few years but found an interesting lime '64 and bought it. This was like end of Dec. last year.

onxy.jpg

Disappointingly the bike came with 2 un-stamped S7s. I then learned that my Aug '64 should have a 36 spoke rear wheel and 28 hole front. When I saw how scarce and pricey that rim was is when I decided to try building my own wheels. I figured I'd just spend the same amount but build the nicest wheel I could.

First thing I picked out was the back tire. I didn't want a knobby like the original either. Came across the Oddyssey Chase Hawk and knew that was the tire (I plan to use some again). Got a CST Operative for the front because I liked the name and it kind of looks like a modern westwind.

Rims I settled on were a Mutant Elektra for the rear and a Mach 1 raw alum rim for the front. Sanded and polished the front and sanded all the clear off of the rear rim and polished it to match the front. Mach 1 I thought kind of looked like an S7 and it was 28 hole. Not a lot of alum 20 inch rims in 28 hole.

aff8.jpg

6ic3.jpg

For a rear hub I got a Velosteel with chrome plated dust covers. For the front hub I got a generic sealed mountain bike hub for $9.99. Replaced the quick release with a Campagnolo Nouvo Record track axle. My first Campy part!...;-)

Built me a truing stand and laced me up some wheels. Went really well and is a lot of fun.

einc.jpg

sh1t.jpg

Test fit of the wheels.

tkv9.jpg

Came up with some good pedals. Used the original spindles in a set of pedals from a high wheel bicycle shop. I shortened the center tubes and used some NOS Schwinn pedal blocks.

7w5z.jpg

Assembled as a rider. Had to buy some '64 bars and correct polo seat. I rode it for probably 2 months. I had to use an old mountain bike seat pad on top of the polo seat. It's brick red for a reason...;-)

main.php

and here she is in all her glory..paint I used is Mazda Spirited Green Metallic..I have these same pics in my Fastback MBBO thread.

3TglBO.jpg

MbtrEe.jpg

rGuIU8.jpg

The name Toadster came about because I was calling it The Toad when it was a rider with the original blotchy patina. My son called it the Toadster because it coasts so good.

With my kid on his Midget Stingray a couple weeks ago. Had the Fastback tire on there while it was torn apart for paint.

main.php

The Chase Hawk is a really nice tire. Rolls easy, looks great and handles really well. Even does good in wet mud surprisingly. I want to use a couple white wall ones on a banana seat scrambler sometime. The best part is the ride which is butter smooth even with 80-100 psi in it.

The Chase Hawk is a really nice tire. Rolls easy, looks great and handles really well. Even does good in wet mud surprisingly. I want to use a couple white wall ones on a banana seat scrambler sometime. The best part is the ride which is butter smooth even with 80-100 psi in it.
Oh yeah, that would look cool!

I love the ride on them too, do slip around a bit in wet mud for me though...

14792788686_205e7f5d1a_z.jpg

Luke.

That's a cool bike! Looks like a lot of fun.

The Toadster was having some fun yesterday getting chased around the patio by this tractor. You'd be amazed how fast a 7 yr old kid can go on one of these while laughing maniacally. It was almost terrifying..;-)

main.php

I know this is an old(er) post, but do you have any details, or a build thread on the wheel truing stand ? would love to build one.

I know this is an old(er) post, but do you have any details, or a build thread on the wheel truing stand ? would love to build one.

It's basically just some angle stock. I had a friend at work show me how to use the mig welder and pretty much winged it.

I cut the angle off of the fork part so it would have some flex for different axle widths. Did the same thing on the arm but left a bit of the angle to keep it rigid. On the end of the arm I used a large pipe hanger which is still too small to true rims with a bigger tire on. Welded some nuts to that and put wire nuts on the ends to protect the rim.

6np9.jpg

Crude but it works. You can use just about anything for a stand.

cool, thanks, will have to see if we can whip something up along those lines, been eyeing commercial ones but $$$ for a nice one and cheap ones get real bad reviews...

Latest posts

Back