this is my new bike,,,old old schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is my new bike it's a old schwinn im still working on the date of the bike.what ya think?
Picture005.jpg

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture004.jpg

I wanna make a bike like this....does anyone think i can make one with this new bike?

RatRod071.jpg

2 screws on the left side of the tank, battery tray is inside for 2 D cell batteries, if your lucky the horn will still work !!

hard to find nice tank bikes, i think youve got an early 60's Schwinn FLEET someone added a Racer chaingaurd to, the serial should be on the left rear dropout.

REALLY nice Bike, its a keeper !!! :D

so there is a horn on the inside of the tank? Thats cool as heck..lol...Im going to make a chain guard out of a pipe cut in half to go over the top of the chain....also i found this bike in a trash can.....i even drove it home..so people just don't know..
whats one like this worth?

and does anyone think it will work to make a fat tire bike like the one in the lower pic?

If you lose the fenders the bigger 26 x 2.125 will fit. and yup its a horn tanker.

as far as value goes, the Fleets arent as desireable to collectors as some of the other models, and it would be worth more with the right guard on it too.

id give $100 - 150 for it as is from lookin at the pics. someone else may give more though, and if it cleaned up nice i might go higher too, you never know. the tanks usually go for 35/50 (in similar shape) depending on if the horn works from what ive seen.

gotta love those trash bike finds !!! :shock: :D

so with the handle bars down like that how does it ride?
also im thinking of a tan and black paint job...the frame will be a nice tan with black tires

so if you had this bike what would you do?

I wouldn't touch that paint. Clean the bike, lose that chainguard and it's done. Keep your eyes open for a bike to experiment with, it's made it this long fairly original, I'd own that and find a diamond frame to do some fun stuff with. You can always mod it later, you can't un-mod it later. Only original once!
:D

i just took a look on the inside the tank and there is nothing in there,,,also to 2 scroows are very rusty and stuck how to i get them loose???you think i can find the horn and such for the tank,,,,

is the button still there on the outside of the tank? kinda hard to tell from the pics. most of these bikes sit and the batteries corrode and eat the insides. usually a horn kit is anywhere from 20-40 bucks on ebay (dont know bout getting the button though), also check "memory lane classics".

id shoot some WD at the screws if ya can, otherwise you may have to cut/drill/manhandle them out :|

I think they used to sell new bikes with or without horns in the tank. I had a Murray Space flight with a tank and the inside was spotless....and hornless :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That tank of yours looks alot like my Panthers tank....and it was chrome under the paint! :wink:

those handle bars on superbe are origianal and it rides an handles very good this way. i would probly have a problem doing anything to that bike. leave it alone an ride it as is. find a bike like mine if ya want a B/T.

Outlaw 8)

Clean it up with just regular soap, water, elbow grease, just like you said. Look under the BIKE HOW TO section there are lots of good tips on everything.

I paid $90 not long ago for that same tank and mine wasn't even the horn version. No holes or anything to mount. :mrgreen:

The tank has no rust holes at all and looks clean on the inside...I was looking in one of my boxes of crap you know with a little of everything and found an old light on a thin wire and at the other end is a watertight tube that fits in there nice..and in another box found a very old 1960 white switch with the same mounting holds,,ill post pics soon on that...nice find then went out to my little work shop and took apart a old phone and took out the ringer for the bell...what ya think..and other then a little tune up and clean up it's done....lol
ok so if i was going to make a fat tire bike what kind of frame do i need and what the heck is that style of bike called? B/t
whats that?

Back