The Rustman - NEW photos!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already posted pics of my Basman in the gallery section but I am planning major changes so I opened this thread.

What I started with:
IMG_0442.jpg

... then:
IMG_0520.jpg

... and now:
IMG_0607.jpg

What I've planed next:
- frame gets a nice rust cover and then Hammerite clearcoat with green and golden flakes
- For the wheelset I’m planning a polished 24“ x 65 mm rim with drum brake for the front and a also polished 24“ x 80 mm rim with either an SRAM Automatix hub or a Centrix 3-speed hub.
- The saddle will be changed for a dark green Brooks B17 Special.
- And for the handlebars I’ll use a small apehanger with green glitter grips.

Re: The Rustman

jackdaw said:
I like the rust/glitter clear idea. I'll be looking for it.
yeah i like the sound of that too..
i wanna see how this one turns out :D

Work ... uhm rust in progress. :mrgreen:

The bike is disassebled and the frame now rests on our balcony. I put some salt water on the frame to speed up the whole process ... seems to work very well.

I've also ordered the metal flakes today: original Ed Roth Trippin' Mind Splitter and Bong Water Green.

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

Bong water GREEN??? Bong water goes from clear to brown to black. No green involved.

I saw a documentary on this... :wink:

Very small update:

I checked the frame some minutes ago and the rust is growing really fast, compared to yesterday there is about 3 times as much rust on the frame.

If this rate stays constant I would be able to paint the frame next week.

Another method that is a little less gross than urine would be to spray it in muriatic acid (plumbers acid) then spray with hydrogen peroxide. It will practically rust before your eyes. Just be careful and do it OUTSIDE and wear GLOVES as muriatic acid is some wicked stuff with a very strong smell. Then when done don't forget to wash it with baking soda water to neutralize the acid.

what are you 'Patina-ing it with?
you should try to mix up some salt/water and put it into an empty spray bottle and coat frame with it..
i have natural patina that looks pretty old on this bike i have raw, i was ridin it out near ocean and such, ill get pics up later..

iven said:
what are you 'Patina-ing it with?
you should try to mix up some salt/water and put it into an empty spray bottle and coat frame with it..
i have natural patina that looks pretty old on this bike i have raw, i was ridin it out near ocean and such, ill get pics up later..

I'm using a paint brush. The idea with the spray bottle is great, thanks!

Wow, I can't believe people have to work to get stuff rusty, over here in the UK, if I leave metal in my garage overnight it starts going rusty! :shock:

Latest posts

Back