'The' Purple Nurple!

Discussion in 'BUILDS' started by Ty Henderson, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Ty Henderson

Ty Henderson

My new 'goal' for the stingray is to fab a long front end, much like our friend Jaxon is producing. He has been very helpful and openly shared some of his tips found while making his front ends. Thank you again sir! I decided to try a similar project with my own touch. I went to my local metal supply, and they didn't have the size tubing I was after. I ended up purchasing 1'' O.D. with .120 wall tubing and adjusting my plans to fit. It wont be light weight by any means and it might end up looking funky, but thought I'd give it a try regardless. After acquiring the material I went to drawing up the triple tree's. Here is what I came up with:
    [​IMG]

Next step is to cut out some cardboard and make some mock ups to see if it will actually function correctly. If all works out then I'll program it using Esprit and mill my tree's on the CnC mill and cut my tubing. Making the bends will be interesting as I've never done it with accuracy. I have a cheap-o manual bender, but might have to source some friends who have professional ones if the first one doesn't make the cut.

2. RustyGold

RustyGold

Yes, 100mm on the front skyways. The Tuff I is what draws the coin, but condition is everything. Cracks, curb rash, trashed brake tracks all lower value, and orphans don't bring as much as a set does. Tuff IIs are still made, but...Tuff IIs dated in the '80s can still be on the spendy side.

Nice sets of Tuff Is can go for a few hundred, but beat up orphans can be had for $50 or less.

D3V1L76 and Ty Henderson like this.
  3. Ty Henderson

Ty Henderson

Sounds like I got a decent deal. Thanks Rusty ;)

LukeTheJoker and RustyGold like this.
  4. Ty Henderson

Ty Henderson

Was kind of depressed about my clear acrylic shift knob busting... and set the project aside. My plan was to replicate a miniature pistol grip shifter, but I knew that was going to be a time consuming project. I was digging in my Kennedy box today, looking for a specific micrometer, when I came upon a new Lutz file handle and *BING* a light bulb flicked on and I came up with this:

[​IMG]

I chucked it up in the lathe and turned the top radius off the wood handle, drilled and tapped. Made an aluminum cap, which I drilled and made a countersink to fit a flat top bolt. It's obvious what I started with, but I wanted to make it a little different to the unknowing eye. I added a few grooves top and bottom with a file then applied a light stain and wax. I'm decently happy with the results, and it ended up saving me a lot of time with an overall cost next to nothing :)

[​IMG]

It's tension smashed on the shift arm, with a hard epoxy for safe measure, It feels very solid as is. Down the road if it seems to come loose I can always drill and press pins.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 10:55 PM
  5. hamppea

hamppea

"decently happy" doesn't sound enthusiastic.

looks like an ordinary wood chisel...out of place.
    Function wise it's probably a benefit to go light weight.
    Time will tell....

Ty Henderson likes this.
  6. Ty Henderson

Ty Henderson

Thanks for your honesty. I'm gonna scrap it. This forum rules, if it looks like crap I won't get b.s. :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 11:22 PM
  7. hamppea

hamppea

Before you do. Give it a chance and see how it performers so you can use it for future references.

8. Ty Henderson

Ty Henderson

will do, least I can do is I'll figure out the functionality. Then approach more appealing aesthetics

hamppea likes this.
  9. RustyGold

RustyGold

I'm digging it...looks great!

Jason

Ty Henderson likes this.
  10. Backnblack

Backnblack

Like it. it not to big or to small. Don't change it. It perfect.

11. Brian macumber

Brian macumber

Maybe if stained a darker color?

12. Ty Henderson

Ty Henderson

[​IMG]

I still have the wood grain shift handle as an option, but I went a totally different route tonight. Back to the clear shift knob... I'm now torn, either wood grip or this? Lets take a vote... #1 for wood #2 for clear acrylic with mother of pearl.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 11:50 PM
    D3V1L76 and LukeTheJoker like this.
  13. hamppea

hamppea

#2 for acrylic
    #1 for wood if # 2 fails :grin:

Get a mini led edge lighting action going.
    Where does the beer come out of? Never mind I see it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 12:12 AM
    LukeTheJoker likes this.
  14. Ty Henderson

Ty Henderson

My pops wants me to get some mini purple LED’s goin on it haha. This is the winner... for now ☺️

15. Digdidit

Digdidit

I like the shorter acrylic one. The wooden one is cool but just seems a bit long

16. Ty Henderson

Ty Henderson

I agree... I’ve shortened the wood knob significantly. It’s just a bit longer than the acrylic one, but sits much lower on the shift arm. I’ll post pics of it this evening and make a final decision.

17. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

^^^ This, so far, looking forward to seeing the shorter wooden one.

18. Backnblack

Backnblack

19. Ty Henderson

Ty Henderson

I think I finally have my solution to the shift knob... I really like this one... it's not bling-bling flashy like the clear, and doesn't resemble a file / wood chisel handle. Went with my original idea and tried to mock the shape of a pistol grip shift knob. I kept the mother of pearl, mostly because I think it distracts from the shifter arm shape... which is not exactly attractive. I think it also looks more organic. Always appealing to the eye. What do ya'll think?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019 at 12:52 AM
  20. hamppea

hamppea

Shape and darker stain fits:cool:

Ty Henderson likes this.