The Orient Express-New Finished Pics!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Screamin' Indian

Gotta come up with a new name. After discussing it with hsean I no longer believe this bike to be of Indian origin, but instead Chinese. I is either a Flying Pigeon built bike or a knock off of one. Now to stare at the bike until it tells me what it wished to be called.

Cameron,
This is turning out to be your best build yet (my unsolicited opinion of course). The colors are spot on (I'm probably going to end up stealing that rim color for a project I've got brewing), this bike looks like it could be from the 1890s. Are there cream tires in its future?

Since it may be a Chinese bike, the 'China Red' color is perfect, it's also gonna be a 'racer' right?, how about 'The Orient Express' or Sweet and Sour Chicken, either one will do... :mrgreen: :roll: :roll: :wink:

Cheers!
Dr. T

Thanks, Doc! Cream tires are a possibility IF I can find a pair with no logos on them. That would really destroy the image I am working towards. If I can't find the creams I want then they will be solid black.

From here forward the bike shall be known as "The Orient Express".

COOL! What did I win????
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just kidding, awsome bike bro. Best of all, I know, when it's finished you'll ride the tires off of it, no matter what color they end up being.

I feel like George Castanza naming babies.......your next bike should called....Soda...or....7. :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Dr. T

Re: The Orient Express (formerly known as The Screamin' Indian)

Having to wait on payday to continue the build, I spent some time working on my head badge. I am going to have one of the following designs printed up on adhesive mylar and then apply it to a thin aluminum plate to attach to the head tube. Now I just have to decide...

OE3.jpg

OE2.jpg

OE1.jpg

Great color selection. Are you keeping those bars?

udallcustombikes said:
Any one know where I can find some board track bars like this?
1786082014_1784368758_o.jpg

Okay question answered. It's gonna be awesome.

Lonewolf said:
Great color selection. Are you keeping those bars?

udallcustombikes said:
I found a pair of Major Taylor bars on cl in Austin. Gonna have family pick them up and hold onto them until I get down there at Christmas. One more part accounted for!

udallcustombikes said:
Here are a few pics in the sunshine.
2010-12-05103846.jpg

That's looking very classic. Very Oriental indeed!

I would personally use a fan motif for the head badge.

That fork is also rather nice looking.

I am seeing a late night marathon build tonight. I am really wanting to take this to the Coasters' Historic Holiday House Ride And Tour tomorrow afternoon. Pics will be coming later!

CHeck out the Soma Major Taylor bars or Bike Nasbar sells the same thing but for 20 bucks.

Time to call it a night-night of frustration that is. I thought I had the right pair of 26x1 3/8 but when I went to mount them I found out they didn't fit. Time for plan B- Middleweight wheels and tires-Too wide for the frame. Plan C-Swipe the 27" wheels off of the girls Schwinn Suburban I picked up today and run a chain to a single sprocket. The wheels fit the frame perfect so after tomorrow they will be painted and laced to the hubs I had on the other wheel set.
Wheels and tires solved.

The seat post I made didn't have the right geometry so I had to find another seat post. But of course I do not have a single one the right size! I did find an aluminum drop stem that fit the seat tube and after I hacked off the bar mount end I had a nice seat post.
Seat Post Solved

Then it was time to mount the pedals and call it done. I have 17 pairs of 1/2" vintage pedals and only 1 1/2 pairs of 9/16" pedals, and the complete pair are plastic with bad bearings. So I start scrounging deep. My son's BMX has 9/16" pedals so I got to to steal them for tomorrow. The right one comes right off but the left breaks my 15mm wrench. Back to the hunt. The last set I have are on my Express Werke roadster. Those come off nice and easy.
Pedals Solved.

The bike is ready for it's first outing. I will be bringing another just in case.

2010-12-11023358.jpg

Way to overcome those obstacles!
I know this isn't the 'vision' for the finished bike, but today's ride will give you a feel for the geometry and ride.
Then you can continue tweaking it, you'll get it the way you want it eventually.

Enjoy the day!

Cheers!
Dr.T

Alright, back in gear!

I got back from my Christmas vacation in ATX. We got home and barely unpacked before I was playing in my garage. I brought my Soma Major Taylor bars back from Austin with me and started by making my grips. I wrapped hemp twine around them and then hit them with some mahogany stain to match the burgandy on the bike.

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

I also got my white tires ordered from junkyrustybikes.net. Once they arrive and I get them mounted I think I can call this one complete!

Latest posts

Back