The Benny.. Or how I spent my Sunday.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys....

So this morning I was kinda down because a bike I wanted sold before I could get it gathered up.. All the projects I have going on are waiting on something or at a stall... I really wanted to chop something and there was nothing really around to chop... So there comes "The Benny". When my wife and I where in Fred Meyers the other day (its kind of like a Walmart if you dont have them in your part of the country) I saw this cheap cruiser and thought for $100 it wasnt a bad lookin bike. I mean you cant hardly buy a cheep set of wheels and tires for $100 right? So This morning I ran down and bought one. $117 with tax.

And heres what followed.

So here she is... The Benny
2708994422_2f4cabab51.jpg

2708994740_3240292702.jpg

First thing I did was get her stripped down and in the frame jig..... All the stickers off and bearing cups removed
2708178105_08f97c7ba7.jpg

Then I chopped off the cantilever bars/upper rear stays and cleaned her up a bit...
2708178419_aa06641615.jpg

I didnt have a plan when I started wackin her apart. I figured it would make sense at some point...
I have a bunch of 7/8 tube that was free so I started there and this is what I came up with.
2708178557_d8cca1ff81.jpg

Almost a spaceliner feel I think.
2708178621_fca125d724.jpg

I figured the neck needed a bit more rake
2708995530_b5efb05491.jpg

And here is what she looks like mocked up in bare steel...
2708178781_5ea2dbec4f_o.jpg

2708995788_d00045273c_o.jpg

All in all I dont think she looks bad for $100 and 5 hours work... I am gonna build her a leaf spring springer with I beam legs and try and figure out a seat and bars...

Well? I know its not vintage but when a guys got the urge to cut up a bike you gotta work with what you have...

That is really great work. I've been looking at that same model in the Freddy's by my place for a while now to make a cheap Green Lake cruiser.

I know these pictures suck.. I didnt have my camera today so I took a couple with my phone...

So I built new dropouts that moved the rear wheel up and out... and put some stainless perforated for the "tank"... I need to build some other rockers for the springer to move the wheel out, I dont think it has enough trail... But I rode her today.. She is gonna be a slick go gitter.....

2719098302_302f8a51d8.jpg

2718277503_a3da2c4cfa.jpg

I put a set of FSA BMX cranks on and a Azonic ultra cross bar.. Had to keep the seat that says "Benny"..... I think I might spray some muratic acid on her and let her rust in bare steel....

Ok....

Built a new set of rockers for the springer today and added a fender bracket (I kind of like it with just the bracket though) Put a set of 144 spoke wheels on it for the Dead Baby Downhill tonight... Glad to say she got me to the bottom of the hill in one piece. I had that coaster brake howwling at the bottom of the steep parts... Fun ride... Probably 500 riders.. There where even a handful of rats. A real nice pre war Elgin that I should have taken a picture of....

The original wheels and tires are going back on it. I don't think the mega spoke canary's look right.

Here are some better (a little anyway) pics of the springer and the bike in general

2724432644_aaea69eceb_o.jpg

2724432614_2b2c08d8f0.jpg

2724432754_1c81a3eb9d.jpg

2724432568_898c386c5f.jpg

2724432718_1868201535.jpg

Gonna head out too the Swap meet in Centraila tomorrow I guess. I really shouldn't go but I think I'll regret it if I dont. I guess work can wait...

Amazing work. Another stainless insert from the back of the seat up to the fender brace's peak would be a great touch.

I must have missed the whole race thing. I got to the bar at 7:30 and it was dead, so I figured the event was a bust :(

blsm said:
Amazing work. Another stainless insert from the back of the seat up to the fender brace's peak would be a great touch.

I must have missed the whole race thing. I got to the bar at 7:30 and it was dead, so I figured the event was a bust :(

Yeah... The race left for Ballard at 7 sharp... There was a gaggle of people there half an hour before you showed up :cry:

And I agree about it needing something like what your talking about on the rear. It looks a bit bare and needs something to tie it together.

hey, for anyone who has Academy sports store in their area... they carry a Kaluna cruiser for $89.99. i was real close to getting one before i found my murray.

CCR said:
is that a rear fender mount you added above the rear tire ?

Yep... thats what it started out as... Im still not sure Im going to put a fender on it. Just the strut looks kind of cool.. and I dont think I'll be riding a bare steel bike in the rain much anyway :?

Unkle Krusty said:
very sweet. i wish i had a 1/4 of that space to work in.

Yeah the space is nice. I moved out of my 1800 sq foot shop about 4 months ago into this 7000 sq foot shop... It also has about a 1/4 acre of fenced yard around it... The only down side is its about 25 grand a year with utilitys... Which means I I cant spend much time working on my own stuff If I want to keep the rent paid... :cry:

On the plus side it has a legal paint booth that's big enough for a car :idea:

Since you have the tools ,and the skills ,I'm surprised you messed with cutting up a frame. Its just pipe ,seems like with that jig you would just build a frame.
I had pretty good luck designing my own. :wink:

Latest posts

Back