* THE BANDIT*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE(DONE!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *BIG DADDY*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE

just a question, but have you used that combo of primer and paint before? The only reason is i have had krylon and rustoleam not play well with each other before.

NO its my first time with that combo...i hope it dont give me a problem. how come it didn't play well with you :?: what seemed to be the problem

When you mix brands there will be times when the chemicles in the top coat are too hot (for lack of a better term) for the base coat. The base coat will become soft again and could begin to crinkle of orange peel. Test your paints out on a piece of scrap to make sure there is no reaction between the coats.

Yea now that I think about it I haven't had this problem yet but ill be sure to test on something first...gotta have a perfect paint job to bring home karfers trophy this year :lol: :lol: :lol:

udallcustombikes said:
When you mix brands there will be times when the chemicles in the top coat are too hot (for lack of a better term) for the base coat. The base coat will become soft again and could begin to crinkle of orange peel. Test your paints out on a piece of scrap to make sure there is no reaction between the coats.

I've had that problem with both Krylon and Rust Oleum, usally when top coating with the same brand, its really the reason why I hate rattle cans........Good Luck!

All kinds of possible interactions between brands and types of paint. I use Rustoleum red oxide primer almost every time I paint metal, and have used a number of different paints over it with no problem. Never used the gray. Good luck, and let us know how it works.

i have had the same "wrinkle" problem w/both paints, then i read on the back of the can to recoat within an hour or after 24 hours. i think that is the key. i waited the 24 hours or longer and had no problems. the humidity really makes a difference as well. i used some rustoleum last summer and i didn't think it was going to dry in time for christmas!@ :eek:

Dry time's not likely to be a problem w/primer unless you really load it up. Rustoleum top coats take hours to dry, and days to rub or re-coat, and aren't the greatest finish appearance wise, but they don't flake or rub, or hold water, once they fully cure. There's something about Krylon that I don't like, but I haven't used any in so long I forgot what. :? :lol:

hahaha sounds like me...kinda reflects my signature :lol: :lol: :lol:

(the quote in black not red) :wink:

i find krylon is softer and a little more forgiving before fully cured. Rustolem takes a long time to set up all the way. The weird crack/wavy thing is what happened to me, but i was using a krylon clear over rustolem. I like krylon just because it has so many colors.

i recently had a problem with krylon pumpkin orange on krylon primer????? but rusto blue on krylon primer worked out really well???????????????? :?:

Try this on for size- I was doing some color/paint compatibility test for my bike today. Krylon primer, Valspar base coat, Rustoleum secondary color, and all topped off with Krylon clear. All layers laid down nicely with no adverse reactions. I am starting to think it might have more to do with the dry/cure times.

udallcustombikes said:
Try this on for size- I was doing some color/paint compatibility test for my bike today. Krylon primer, Valspar base coat, Rustoleum secondary color, and all topped off with Krylon clear. All layers laid down nicely with no adverse reactions. I am starting to think it might have more to do with the dry/cure times.

that could also be a possibility too, i don't know why it happens, i just know it does sometimes.

Here is a Bendix 96 coaster brake hub that has two sprockets...I'm going to use it as my idler hub...refer to my sketch to see what i mean...
100_3140.jpg

100_3139.jpg

100_3138.jpg

100_3141.jpg

Here is a Cadet speedometer that udallcustombikes gave me..it should find its way on the bike SOMEWHERE :wink:
100_3143.jpg

Here are some 1920s wrenches that will for sure find there place on the bike...costerbreak arms, brackets, head badges...etc
100_3142.jpg

Latest posts

Back