*The 76er* (I. Think. I'm. Done. update: 7/29)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *The 76er* (license plating update: 7/2)

yoothgeye said:
Threw on some grips for a mock up, and I might stick with these old grips, the yellowed out old white Hunt Wildes look great with the paint:
IMG_4391.jpg
Yes! Those bars are right on the money. Nice work on the double backward stem dual-wrench mount. Stick with the old grips too, the yellowed color is perfect against the wheels and seat.

Re: *The 76er* (FINALLY, some bars! update: 7/8)

Man, your good :shock: Looks GREAT, I think you might have a vote from me :mrgreen:

Thanks guys, all your compliments really pump me up. I'm going on a mission trip 5am monday morning and won't get back till late Saturday night, so no work all next week, leaving just 2ish weeks till done, I still have rear rack, chainguard, lights, details, and possibly a simple tank.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
When I started reading it I thought, hope he doesn't want to adjust those bars, but it's cool how they 'pivot' on the stems.
As far as the stems pointing backward, I think you're right, they look better pointing backward.

Doc, as for adjustment, there was going to be more, but I got lazy. I was going to drill holes in the ends of the wrenches and tap them for set screws. As cool as it would've looked, I would have trusted the set screws holding my weight/abuse, and getting both sides identical would've kept me from the boost I needed in finishing these bars last night.

The-Rookie said:
Yea I think you should keep the grips on it.

Yeah, I'm going to keep them, that's one less final decision to make.

Re: *The 76er* (license plating update: 7/2)

d.rock said:
yoothgeye said:
Threw on some grips for a mock up, and I might stick with these old grips, the yellowed out old white Hunt Wildes look great with the paint:
IMG_4391.jpg
Yes! Those bars are right on the money. Nice work on the double backward stem dual-wrench mount. Stick with the old grips too, the yellowed color is perfect against the wheels and seat.
You know with me being so busy I did not even see that you had an update. I think your choice on the handle bars was a great choice. Man you have made good use of those wrenches, haha. When we go riding we need to ride each others bike.

THIS BIKE LOOKS MEAN!! WAITING FOR THE COLOR....GET TA PAINTIN' :mrgreen: PEACE

Jake Sensi said:
THIS BIKE LOOKS MEAN!! WAITING FOR THE COLOR....GET TA PAINTIN' :mrgreen: PEACE

That is my paint! haha I don't remember which pages the paint went on, but I went through great trials stripping the paint and painting multiple layers and doing a fauxtina job on it, not to mention the nasty fumes!

It's ok, I know it's not black and red and flames, but it's the bike I had pictured in my head that I wanted to ride... and I can't wait to ride it again.

Day 78

Well, after a week away from my bike taking the youth group on a mission trip to Pittsburgh, PA I am back and off to a slow return to working. Had a friend over tonight and didn't wanna get too involved in the project and leave him out, so while piddling with some minor bike parts I helped him do some stuff to his bike as well. Cody came over and helped out with some things... who knew drilling through wrenches could be so hard?

So I started off by killing another bike:
IMG_4392.jpg

As you can see in the photo I had just taken the tank off and set it back on to get a picture. I wanted to see if I could make it fit my bike.

So I got out the snips and hammer and went to destruction... errr... work.
IMG_4393.jpg

With the rag holding it up, I'm kind of digging this little tank, fits the lines pretty well too:
IMG_4394.jpg

Then I sat there pondering how to attach it. I think I can drill and tap a hole in the frame at the back of the tank, still thinking of ways to hold up the front.

Next I got out my tachometer and the paint pens... couldn't leave it stock now could I?
IMG_4395.jpg

Was going to mount it here, and actually had it attached here with the stock bracket. Cody took the broken spring cable downstairs and actually welded it back together... wow, yeah, I would've burned it in half over and over, but his little weld held (using my wire feed nonetheless). When he put the cable back in the housing I saw that my cable is only about 15" long and won't reach above the bars like that. Oh well, the fork leg will look cool too. Gotta make a mount, but then the "sending unit" won't fit in between the wheel and fork, so I went downstairs and ground it down, will check later if it fits, I may have ground it down too much. :x

Then I took apart the front hub to clean out the congealed 35 year old grease and then COdy told me he took the grease to his house, so I'll just leave it sitting till tomorrow, I'm tired anyway.
IMG_4399.jpg

What do I got, like 11 days left. :shock: Crap.

In 1976 Tommy Herron won the Senior Isle of Man Tourist Trophy, then just 3 years later he died falling off a bike at walking pace and banging his head. Sad news 30-some years later, but should encourage you to always wear a helmet, even on a heavy slow 1976 Murray Skybolt.

Re: *The 76er* (Tank & Tach update: 7/20)

That tank HAS to find it's way to this bike. The fit and patina are too perfect to not be there.

One question, where'd you get that RPM (tach) meter?

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
That tank HAS to find it's way to this bike. The fit and patina are too perfect to not be there.

One question, where'd you get that RPM (tach) meter?

The tank will stay, as for the pedal tachometer, it came from this alley find: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=41153

I saw another of these on Craigslist (but all white) in Pittsburgh last week when I was there for free, but schedule didn't leave time to do things like picking up free bikes.

I hope I can get the sending unit to fit, I'd love this thing to be functional. Anyone know of a thinner bike speedo sending unit that accepts a square end shaft?

I would've never thought of taking the tank of the 20". Looks great.....Just a thought, match it to the rims....never mind, you don't need suggestions!

KOTA said:
I would've never thought of taking the tank of the 20". Looks great.....Just a thought, match it to the rims....never mind, you don't need suggestions!

Crossed my mind, but I think the rim color won't end up on the bike anywhere, I keep thinking I'll use it, but I don't want this bike to look too integrated, I like rat... even if I have to fake it.

Sweet...I kinda like the patina color on the tank :wink:

Looking good. Goto to the hardware store and look for some little strap/clips. Fit over the frame then sheet metal screw into it.

Hanging tanks were common on older bikes. viewtopic.php?p=223907#p223907

Galvanized%202%20Hole%20Pipe%20Hanger.jpg

cman said:
Looking good. Goto to the hardware store and look for some little strap/clips. Fit over the frame then sheet metal screw into it.
Hanging tanks were common on older bikes.

I thought about a top strap, but I really wasn't feeling it, wanted it to kind of be a mystery of how it was being held up.

Day 80

Is it hot out here to anyone else? (not talking to people on the left coast)

Anyway, it was hot and I decided to do something I'd been putting off. I set off to light up my, ummm... lights.

I use to love to do this sort of thing, now I look at it as a task:
IMG_4400.jpg

First with the headlight, I ripped the halogen bulb out of an H3 mount and got some LEDs ready:
IMG_4401.jpg

Then I found a little piece of wood in the house (too hot to even walk across the yard to the shop to get some proper plastic):
IMG_4403.jpg

Once fitten I soldered some LEDs together and put them in place and went mad with the hot glue gun to create something super ugly. If you remember back when I first planned this front light I wanted to make use of the light's reflector, so that is why I have forward facing LEDs along with 4 that are facing the sides:
IMG_4404.jpg

Yes, hideous looking, but it works:
IMG_4406.jpg

The 2 forward facing LEDs are wired together in a series, and the side facing LEDs are 2 to a series. Then those 3 sets of seriesed lights are wired in parallel.

So the headlight will run off of 1 nine volt battery mounted inside the light housing with a switch running out to another location. Now, the taillight, I started with the piece of plastic I cut that fits inside of the stainless steel thermos light housing I made. I drilled 8 holes in it:
IMG_4407.jpg

Then I fit the red LEDs in the holes. All these LEDs were things I scrounged up from thrown away items. Amazing what all contains LEDs today, and I dare you to find one burned out. I did blow up about 10 today just playing around, warning: don't breathe the LED smoke. Here are the LEDs pushed into position:
IMG_4408.jpg

Here is how I wired them together, all in parallel:
IMG_4409.jpg

That looks nice and clean, too bad I'll probably never see that side of it again.

These reds are bright:
IMG_4410.jpg

Still bright behind the lens:
IMG_4412.jpg

Since I'm running the rear lights off a 9volt as well, I don't know if I will build the battery tube. We shall see, I like it, but without the C cells in it, it wouldn't be serving it's correct purpose.

Yes, and finally, I am working on the rack with Cody's help. I asked him to drill a hole in the wrench mount I made a long time ago. Well, turns out tool steel is VERY stong. haha He tried to drill a hole through the wrench, then I did, then we worked together and managed to melt a drill bit filling in any hole we had already accomplished. Today he came by the house and picked up the wrench and took it to his work's shop where he cut it back apart, notched it and welded it back together with the hole made from the notches:
IMG_4414.jpg

That's what I get for using wierd parts and insisting on everything being customized.

Did you know that in 1976 July 22nd was on a Thursday instead of a Friday? So if the build-off was in '76 I'd still be way behind, and probably wouldn't be using a brand new bike, haha.

Re: *The 76er* (LIghting update: 7/22)

Have I already said "Great Job" fellow Murray bike builder???????
Been watching every step.

Mine's coming together, much simpler than your build, maybe even boring! :D

Photo shoot scheduled for Sunday.

Finish that puppy up in time for the deadline! :D :D :D

Re: *The 76er* (LIghting update: 7/22)

jerrykr said:
Have I already said "Great Job" fellow Murray bike builder???????
Been watching every step.

Mine's coming together, much simpler than your build, maybe even boring! :D

Photo shoot scheduled for Sunday.

Finish that puppy up in time for the deadline! :D :D :D

Thanks man, I can't wait to see all the finished bikes... and mine will be one of them.

Latest posts

Back