Stripped & Teased: Updated 7/15

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stripped & Teased: Updated 5/15

for some reason im wanting mint ice cream now :mrgreen:
all joking aside looks good and glad to see some different colors.....i think theyre asking for some pinstripes though.....

Karfer- The rim is an Electra one.

Sensor- Mint ice cream is a perfect description for the color. I'm planning on trying to do the stripping on the tank and I was thinking orange would be a nice compliment. I'd love to do it on the wheels, but I'm not sure I have the skill to pull it off.

sensor u know tossing lines on wheels is a whole nother ball game

Maybe try the Sharpie marker technique. The B6 I bought had that done in black and it doesn't look bad. They make them in orange.

That should look good. I say go for it!

sensor said:
dont give me that!!! ive seen your paintings and other art you know you could 8)
I'll probably give it a try. It's just that pinstripping is like everything else and takes a lot of practice to do good work. So far I haven't had hardly any practice. If it turns out crappy I can just wipe them off. I would rather have no lines than wobbly ones :D .

Cman- The problem with sharpies is that they are somewhat transparent (especially the colored ones). So if you run an orange line on a green rim you'll end up with a nice brown :lol: .

bikebuilder- I thought about spinning the wheel too. I have a feeling that it's one of those things that sounds good, but doesn't work as well when you try it. Still worth a try though.

As far as progress goes it has slowed down a bit. My work is taking up pretty much all of my spare time at the moment. Hopefully I can get some time by the weekend to get most of the painting done.

I saw a video about assembling bikes that was made back when bikes were cool from the factory I think it was a short documentary of the CWC. I thought it was linked here somewhere, but can't find it. Part of the video showed how the pinstriping on the fenders was done. They put the fenders on rollers like a big wheel and held the brush while they rotated the wheel that the fender was placed on.

just be warned straight lines and circles are the hardest to do. good luck practice first u will get it

Very nice build.Sure would have been alot easier to have done your in tank shifter trick with the thumb shifter version instead of the twist grip. Bolting an arm with a piece inside to hit the two shifter buttons would have been super easy ...but you came through it with flying colors. Very ingenious. :wink: The Phantom camper....he he

Re: Stripped & Teased: Updated 5/23

I got a little bit of the paint work done. I stripped the tank and and polished it up a bit. Then I clear coated it and let it sit for a couple days. When I first sprayed it with clear I was a little surprised how much darker it made it, but I think it actually looks better that way. I laid the green on yesterday and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I still need to spray the front wheel and finish stripping the frame.

The tank was pretty hard to photograph because the bare metal really reflects the lights.
paintedtank.jpg

looks real purdy love the color on the bare metal. wait till u see what i did to my tank sensor u better not look but you have to wait till tues to see :p

Latest posts

Back