Speedometer drive - modifying?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of these vintage looking retro speedometers with a odometer (I didn't get the one with the trip as the knob breaks). Problem is the front wheel I got from MBRebel has a taller flange on the hub so the folded over ear on the speedometer drive hits the side of the hub flange so it cant be used with this will.

I wanted to ask what are some options to modify this to make it work?

I thought of using a vice to flatten out the ear and bend it a little higher up. Down side is they put a bead in the crease to strengthen the bend. Another option I had was to simply take and drill holes side by side in the front hub for this ear to fit it. I don't like this option either. I also thought of buying just a drive that is used off ebay from a older assembly that has the ears spaced farther apart. But with this theres no way to ensure the cable and everything will work.

So if anyone has any ideas I am open to some suggestions. I plan on putting the bike together this weekend and need to come up with an idea so I can install my front wheel.

Without photos, I can only imagine the exact nature of the interference. Were it my project, I'd probably be tempted to CAREFULLY grind/file the little tab until the hub and speedo peacefully co-exist. This approach would likely prevent using the speedometer drive with any other bike in the future, but I'd be okay with that. Your mileage may vary.

Again, it's hard to estimate without pictures. You don't want to connect the drive solid to allow for some runout. Maybe put a small self tap screw into side of hub and drive the speedos flattened or cut ear from that...

80-20170714_125236_a328333dea6f3886924f3a8ed04ae6c274c194e4.jpg

Here is a picture of the problem I have. The arm that is supposed to sit over the top of the flange on the hub is actually touching the hub between the spoke holes. It has a bead rolled into it where I am afraid it wont work trying to smash it flat in a vice and then bending it further up. Id also be afraid of it being weaker and bending from use if not just simply breaking. I also don't really want to drill the hub as its between the spoke holes and it would weaken the wheel.

I found some metal vintage ones on ebay that look like the ears are spaced farther out but I don't know if the cable drive threads are standardized or not between new and vintage. Id hate to fork over $40 for a old drive and cant use it as my cable wont screw in or worse yet not read close on speed and mileage.

This is probably a stupid idea..BUT.
If the tab touches the hub, it looks like you could CAREFULLY cut a slot in hub for it to slide into...I told you it could be a stupid idea.....[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you just epoxy or otherwise attach a small extension on the tab? Can you take the drive apart and replace that piece with a custom made one? I imagine it's just a flat donut-shaped piece of metal with the tab connected, which should be easy to remake so that it fits, but I don't know how it interfaces with the gear for the worm drive for the cable.

I talked with a guy on another forum he said use plyers and flatten it out as its soft metal and bends easily. I was able to bend it and get it to fit right.

Now my only problem is the cheap speedometer didn't come with instructions so the only way I could get my front wheel to fit my fork with the speedometer drive attached is to remove the thin metal shim and the grooved jam nut. I don't know if this is proper as every searching online I find is about installing digital and electronic speedometers nothing about the old style analog. I haven't tightened anything down just yet but it is a fairly snug fit but the wheel spins freely at least for now till I go tightening up the axle nuts.

Late update but I resolved my issue my problem was I had to leave the jam nut on and then hold the wheel and stretch the front fork out while sliding down I was able to get it to fit and functions like it should. I already have 0000.8 on my odometer just spinning my front wheel for testing as well as adjusting my front BB7 brake caliper.

Latest posts

Back