Slightly hot rodded Jr. Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this Jr. Stingray about a year and a half ago from an older gent who used to have a shop. It was all original and complete, but the forks were wasted from a serious bike Vs. immovable object type accident. The original red sparkle seat was trashed, and the tires were dry rotted. My boys and I tore it down, cleaned everything and regreased the headset and bottom bracket, and for about a year it was built up 70's bmx style with Ashtabula forks, Lester mags with knobbies, an MX "breadloaf" style seat and a set of box bars with the required oval number plate.
A few months back my 12 year old decided that it was time for a change, so we tore it down and rebuilt it Rat Rod style. We rebuilt the hubs and I trued the wheels, and he spent a few hours with some #000 steel wool polishing up the rims and spokes. I bought some new tires and the wheelset was done. While over at a friends' house I happened to notice an extremely rusty lowrider fork in his neighbors' trash. Some more steel wool, a little flat white paint, and the fork was done. The stock stem, bars and sissy bar were given the steel wool facelift and put back on. The original red sparkle grips were cleaned up and slid back on the bars. I was debating recovering the old 'nanner seat when I happened upon an NOS red, white and blue Schwinn Stars and Stripes seat for cheap. It has some shelf wear and tear, but it is a Rat Rod after all.
I love the way it turned out, and he loves cruising it everywhere.

100_0009.jpg

100_0010.jpg

NICE JOB! Great bike for a kid.

Back