Skiptooth Conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like it would take a long time to file off 0.062" off of the sprocket teeth, especially if there are 26 of them, and doing it evenly. You'd be faster putting it on a surface grinder, but even that would take a little while. You'd still have the issue of the alternating pitch of the sprocket teeth, which won't quite match the 1/2" chain pitch...

Thankfully skiptooth2 responded to me and I now have one of his hub sprockets on the way! Anyone else interested? $18.50 shipped.

NewOrleansFlyer said:
Welcome to the "I-only-need-the-chain- Club".. :mrgreen:
+1 on that :lol:

Hey I have had these things fail. I have killed regular chains too.

Skip tooth or 1'' pitch as I believe it is called, Is the Ultimate Must have IF you wanna carry a Cool Club Card lol.

NO, a chain Breaker will not just fit on & work as I remember , I took one & modifyed it Buy grinding on it I believe.
If you break your chain & it was Plenty long to start with , Just Remove a Link & see if you still have room for adjustment.

The one thing iI do to make em last is Never to tight on the adjustment. If anything on the loose side if your just cruisen with it .
I have picked up Extra Chain Linke here at Ratrod for $1.00 each from time to time.

The old ones do & May break from time to time. I have been able to limp back beeing very ginger with it every time this has happend & it has never caused me a face plant or wreck. ... so far lol .
I have a old length of chain I also keep on hand to rob links out of when I need tyo make repairs or legnthen one.
Lots of ways to deal with the chain problem ok.
If yor riding a bike with one of these chains, Just Pay atten. to what your Bike is saying . You will notice it in the ride as it is happing usualy .
They crack before they totaly fail. I have noticed it every time prior to failure.

As always No matter what Kinda Chain your riding , ALWAYS be / Ride Carefully & Responsiably .

OH Yea almost forgot, With a Drill Press & a Side winder Grinder You can make your sprocket work in about 30 seconds after yu figure uot how to fixture the sprocket on to a bolt with some washers (sandwich it between the washers & get it eyeball centerd & then go a little at a time with the grinder , Holding at the rite angle while the drillpress spins it in the oppisite direction.
Bacicly, an Okifed Way to adjust the sprocket that is simple *& Effective.
Go a little at a time & check it for fit as ya go. Be carefull , you could remove To much & RUIN the sprocket if you are not carefull
Also , Flip the sprocket & take a little off both sides. You can Mark the sprocket with a Sharpie to show wear patterns from chain .

Latest posts

Back