Shelgin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I swear, I thought I had a thread for this build, but many searches couldn't find anything, so here we go. I'm well into this build, so I'll be posting a lot of photos in the next day or two to catch you guys up. This build has certainly gone through some changes.

It started with a girl's Shelby frame/fork combo that I got for pretty cheap. I mainly got it because it had a cool tank and a Shock-Ease fork. At some point, I decided to try to marry it with a 36" Monster Coker wheel that I bought off of Craigslist, so the Shock-Ease was set aside, and I flipped the frame to look at options.
IMG_2117_zps41a27764.jpg

But then, enter a 37-ish Elgin frame that I bought from an outdoor antique furniture market for $20. The headtube had been cut up, so I told myself that since it was already butchered, why not cut it off, save the section of the Shelby frame that I like, and marry them?
IMG_2267-Copy_zps806cb8c1.jpg

I even threw in the bottom loop of a Worksman 24" frame that I had cut up for a different project, just to balance it out.
IMG_2268_zpse6a47894.jpg

Added a few parts, and tried it out.
IMG_2293_zpsf3e51585.jpg

The problem... was that the front wheel had way too much rake. It flopped to either side quite violently when trying to ride it. Also, if I'm being honest, I just didn't think that it looked very cool. So, after setting it aside for a while, I made what is always a tough decision, I made up my mind to chop it all apart, and try again.

To be continued...

I threw away the idea of using the 36" wheel on this project, and changed the scheme. I'm now going for a more artfully done vintage Frankenstein's monster. Back to 26" wheels, and to using mostly Shelby and Elgin parts, including the Shock-Ease.
IMG_2387_zps8aab6d30.jpg

Welded it all back together with a much more reasonable rake, putting the BB lower, and giving me some stretch.
IMG_2388_zps86ffa395.jpg

I still put the Worksman loop on it, just because I thought the way the two BBs hung down looked odd.

I'm going with flat black for the frame, and all of the sheetmetal will be flat red primer. It'll also have some artistic touches, of course.
IMG_2395_zps4b9d0e72.jpg

IMG_2396_zps4c0010a0.jpg

I bought some good tins from a fellow member here. Fenders, chain guard, and skirt guard. But I've got to extend the chain guard to reach the forward BB, which is 8" ahead of the original Elgin one.
IMG_2416_zps1f3fc7aa.jpg

IMG_2418_zps5598a396.jpg

You might catch that I put the Elgin head badge on the seat tube. I figure I had it, and it is both and Elgin and a Shelby, so why not have both on there?
IMG_2419_zps16d9b32d.jpg

I'd like to add an Elgin tank as well, if anyone has a crappy one for cheap.

I like what you have now. Although the stretched version looks cool it is no fun if you can not ride it some what comfortably.
Just ends up as a sculpture that is usually unsellable when you get tired of it.
Love the split chain guard.

Last edited:
Got a lot more work done. The wheelset I chose turned out to be S7 rims, so I had to scrap the tires I was going to use, and buy some Schwinn tires. I added some fence spikes to the bars, just for the heck of it, and started putting a piece of sheet metal in place to extend the chain guard.
IMG_2425_zps038a71d0.jpg

IMG_2426_zps5907d72a.jpg

It's got both head badges on it.
IMG_2427_zps318c905e.jpg

Finished up stretching the chain guard. It's definitely not perfect, but it'll do for now. I also put some grips on it.
IMG_2446_zps8d5b64d5.jpg

I decided I didn't like the chrome tank, so I painted over it.
IMG_2449_zpsc0634cd8.jpg

Still got the tail light, a couple of small rub spots, and I'd like to find an Elgin tank for it.

I bought a tank from Tanksalot that I hoped would fit the Elgin portion of the frame. It doesn't, but I think I'll use it anyway. Here it is on it:
IMG_2736_zps0b9942c6.jpg

IMG_2737_zps6d3753f2.jpg

I then painted it, and did some grinding on the tank so it fits around the seat tube better. Here's how it looks now:
IMG_2738_zps8fc8092b.jpg

The new tank plays well with the ladies tank and really pulls the bike together even more.

I bought this light from this forum, and I've been waiting for the right build to add it. I did the easiest LED conversion in the world. I just stuffed it full of an LED light string, and boom! done. The battery box is under the skirt guard, easy-peasy. It's a cool light.
IMG_2749_zps7d7f50ee.jpg

IMG_2748_zps0f5c0609.jpg

I've taken the last couple of days to do a lot of small things on this bike. Fixed the front fender so that there's no longer any rubbing, fixed the seat so that it stays in place, and switched out the crank for a dogleg, so that it wouldn't rub the chain guard any more. I had to do a little bit of trimming on the end of the Higgins tank to make them fit together, as well. Then topped it off by adding a saddlebag on the front (because the back has the cool skirt guards, and I didn't want to cover those up).

This thing is finally rideable for the first time! I took it on a 3 mile ride, and it was smooth. I'm really happy with this build. In all honesty, this is one of my favorite builds I've done.
IMG_2780_zps1f7f1ebc.jpg

IMG_2781_zps03cfd28d.jpg

IMG_2782_zps2683624e.jpg

I bought this light from this forum, and I've been waiting for the right build to add it. I did the easiest LED conversion in the world. I just stuffed it full of an LED light string, and boom! done. The battery box is under the skirt guard, easy-peasy. It's a cool light.
IMG_2749_zps7d7f50ee.jpg

IMG_2748_zps0f5c0609.jpg
awesome light,reminds me of flash gordon styles

IMG_2781_zps03cfd28d.jpg

[/QUOTE]
this is to me another one of those builds that came out leaving me gobsmacked,and these are the reasons,first few pics of the frames together nah not diggin,the loop made sense but didnt like it,second round of rewelding frames a fork change started to come around,but I was sold as soon as the paint was applied,from then on in I was truely amazed,it looks so original as in factory built but by a top style house of the time,my hat is off to you sir,very well done

Back