Sears Spyder 24"

Discussion in 'MUSCLE BIKES' started by wheelbender6, Oct 21, 2018.

1. wheelbender6

wheelbender6

The biggest news since my last post is that I managed to do an endo on the bike today while crossing a ditch. Turns out that the torsion fork compressed soooo far that the tire jammed against the fork crown, locking the front tire.
    --I will have to concoct some way of limiting the fork travel so that the front wheel will not lock again when I hit a big pothole or get run off the road by a cager. I could also switch the front wheel for a 20“ to fix the problem. The fork still works quietly, with no rattles or squeaks.
    --I added a third bracket to the chain guard and it is steady now. Doesn’t rub on the cranks or chain.
    --I stuck a wine cork in the grip shifter since I haven’t come up with any mod for it yet. I wish I had something for it that matched my purple jeweled valve caps.
    purple starboard.jpg purple port.jpg
    --I still need more leg room, even though it’s a 24” bike. Thighs start to burn before the mile mark, even in low gear. I’ll try a lay-back seat post before resorting to a longer sear and sissy bar.

RustyGold likes this.
  2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6

I've taken some long spins after adding the lay back seat post. Pedaling is much more comfortable now, but it makes the grip shifter look a little obscene.
    -I also added an ell bracket to the rat trap fork that does a good job of limiting the front wheel travel.
    -I have ordered a stick shifter from fleabay but it hasn't arrived. Maybe this weekend.
    flightliner layback.jpg

Brian macumber and RustyGold like this.
  3. wheelbender6

wheelbender6

I swapped the front wheel for a 20". The bike is a 24/20 now. It still looked a like a cruiser when the 24" wheel was on the front.
    I had a shipping problem with my stick shifter so I haven't received it. I started fooling with converting the grip shift to a stick shifter again.
    24 20 bridge.jpg 24 20 gator.jpg

RustyGold likes this.
  4. Jaxon

Jaxon

24 x 20 is a cool set up.

RustyGold likes this.
  5. wheelbender6

wheelbender6

simplex shifter1.jpg simplex shifter2.jpg
    I finally got the stick shifter installed. Since I have two top tubes, it was pretty simple to make a shifter mount from ell brackets.
    I don't know how old this shifter is, but it works surprisingly well. The weather is perfect for a ride, but my allergies are keeping me indoors.

LukeTheJoker, Jaxon and RustyGold like this.