Sears Spyder 24"

Discussion in 'MUSCLE BIKES' started by wheelbender6, Oct 21, 2018.

1. wheelbender6

wheelbender6

I bought a Sears Spyder 24" frame/fork this week (banana seat bike). Original chrome finish has been painted over, so no need to attempt to source original parts.

-It was advertised as a Sears Screamer, but I don't think there were any 24" Screamers produced.

-I don't think Sears sold any Spyders or Screamers with the included Rat Trap springer fork either.

-At any rate, the serial no indicates that it is indeed a bike sold by Sears and I will attempt to further decode the serial no when I take delivery near the end of the week. Should be a fun build.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/81cAAOSwFuZbPQpe/s-l1600.jpg
    [​IMG]

LukeTheJoker and Scribble like this.
  2. Jaxon

Jaxon

Cool Start. Is the fork a 24 or 26 inch fork?

3. AndyA

AndyA

Mr. Wheelbender:
    Jaxon's question is important. Is it really a 24" bike? The only model in the Sears catalogs that seems to have a chrome frame of this design and a springer fork is the 1961 Flightliner, which was only available as a 26" bike. Some other models of that era were available as 24's, but those frames were painted. The chain wheel belongs on a Flightliner but the chain guard shown does not match any Sears bikes from 1958 thru 1963 (the Age of the Flightliners).

The Sears Screamer was a muscle bike with an odd, rectangular frame that has no relation to this bike. Sears Spyders initially had conventional 20" cantilever frames then later had Spaceliner-style frames. Again, not the frame pictured. If anyone knows more, please weigh in.

In any case, have fun.

4. wheelbender6

wheelbender6

When I saw that the frame originally had a chrome finish, I thought it may have actually been a Flightliner myself, AndyA.
    -I'm OK with it either way: Spyder or Flightliner -24" or 26" wheels. Like'm both. -I guess I will move the thread to another sub-forum if turns out to be a 26 inch Flightliner!
    -I will not get actually my hands on the bike until Friday, Jaxon, so I will be in suspense until then.

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  5. wheelbender6

wheelbender6

A fellow on another forum said the metal tab behind the head tube in the photo is used to attach a tank.
    -I don't remember Spyders or Screamers having tanks.
    -Looks like I will have a Flightliner, or some other tank cruiser.

6. RustyGold

RustyGold

7. wheelbender6

wheelbender6

I opened up the box about an hour ago. It is a Sears Flightliner, BUT, it takes 24in wheels. My 26in wheel was too big for it. I had thought only girls Flightliners had 24in wheels.
    I think I will give it the banana seat treatment for now. It will take a while for me to source the correct tank and rack to make it look like a proper Flightliner.

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  8. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

9. wheelbender6

wheelbender6

The original chrome finish looked pretty good, so I began stripping the paint this weekend.
    The painted part of the rat trap fork is too damaged to use. I will have to transplant the suspension components to a different, more sound fork.

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  10. wheelbender6

wheelbender6

flightliner 120218 small.jpg I have stripped off quite a lot of purple paint. The original chrome frame looks good, especially after some Mother's chrome polish.
    The rat trap fork workings cannot be simply unbolted from the original, damaged fork. They are welded to it. I bolted the original crown and rat trap mechanism to a Spaceliner fork with 3/4" bolts. Time will tell if it will be durable enough.
    With the frame color and rat trap fork sorted out, its time to source a donor bike for the 24" wheels, brakes and drive train.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    RustyGold, LukeTheJoker and ParkRNDL like this.
  11. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Looks good!