Schwinnish

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this blue wonder at the flea market for $50. Has Schwinn badge, bad paint, mismatched pedals etc. Would like to know the whats when and weres.
Left drop out has a "C 2800" stamp on it, but I was unable to find any matching info for that serial number. The bottom bracket also has what looks to be a stamp, but because of the goopy paint, I can't read it.
here are my pics:
Thanks in advance.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/schwinnish/

Here are the photos
Schwinn Approved
6186292484_8c88e9bce1_z.jpg

Straight fork
6186278880_929d8175b8_z.jpg

C 2800 stamp
6186231844_53a4ff193c_z.jpg

6185706557_700fde663c_z.jpg

6186227486_3595307820_z.jpg

Need more serial number. There should be another letter or number. If the forks are correct, it's 70's or 80's. The frame looks Chicago made, the 4 leaf clover sprocket looks 60's or 70's. If you can find the original color of the frame, the forks should match, looking at the fork tube. There are probably more numbers on the dropout, that would give the most info.

The frame looks to be a standard Schwinn cantilever frame. There are a number of models that use this, the most common being the Typhoon over the years.

The frame style also was used by the Heavy-Duti, which might be what this is.

The location of the stamps on the left rear dropout means the frame was built from 1952 to 1970. C2800 is not a complete serial number. It should be 2 letters (with a couple of exceptions I know of) and 5 or 6 numbers. Clean off that area real well and see it other numbers are filled in.

The Schwinn headbadge is weird, maybe it's just a grainy pic and it's painted black. Doesn't look like it has screws but maybe they were lost and some double-sticky tape was used.

The pedals are late style replacements or 1990's era pedals- could be from a much later Pacific Schwinn or a department store bike or aftermarket. They look like the ones with the 4-leaf clover on the ends.

The rims I can't tell what they are. Look for stamps in them. A brand name or "Schwinn Tubular" marks. They could have come off any brand of bike. The coaster hub looks like Shimano or Chinese generic brands.

See if the front hub has any markings on it. Pull the crank out and look for a year stamp in the middle of the forging. Check the center of the handlebars for Schwinn and a year stamp.

The fork looks like an early mountain bike fork. Could have been from a Schwinn Cruiser as well, but would be a later bike than that frame.

I think it's a franken-bike someone put together to make something fun to ride. Looks like it came out of a free community bike program. (Nothing against those... I run one.)

Good luck,
--Rob

So the serial has been revealed to be C12800. In looking through the various databases I'm unable to determine the year 61 or earlier?
Front rim has 7813 stamped and rear rim has 7813B stamped.
Handlebars have WALD stamp in center.
The badge does have screws though only one remains and as far as I can see it is bare metal.
It is a FrankenSchwinn.

Thanks for your time

May 1952 or April 57, if that's the complete number. Is the dropout down to bare metal? My 53 frame has the same characteristics, so that fork must have been a replacement, as were the cranks and sprocket. Maybe just the sprocket, pull the cranks and see if there's a 2 digit year on the middle section, like "AS 52".

Latest posts

Back