Schwinn Pavement Pounder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schwinn Heavy Duty frame: Sachs Torpedo 3 speed, Nexus shifter, polished Weinmann aluminum rims, Maxxis hookworm rear tire, Mountain bike springer fork. BMX crank

Themed after Joy Fair's #1 Dearborn Crankshaft Late Model
1st build
Let me know what you think.

DSCF4535.jpg

DSCF4532.jpg

DSCF4533.jpg

Joy20Fair0064.jpg

The frame is just how I got it off of craigslist in original "scuffed" condition. I had to add my own petina to the aluminum tank plate. The forks I got used from a bike shop. The fork tube had to be lenghtened to fit the frame. All of the parts on the bike were bought used or scrounged up except for the shifter and front tire.

Thanks for asking

Nice job. Leaving the paint and matching the tank to it was a stroke of genius. Most would of painted both.

Genius is an awfully strong word, especially in my case, but thanks. This is right after I pulled the rusty fenders off and found the rims.
I rode it around last summer like that. I wish I would have taken a picture when I brought it home.
One of the bike and one of my wife rolling on the floor laughing.
DSCF4052.jpg

Heres a picture of mine, i have had it for about a year now. I took it out of the barn about a week ago gave it a bath and made a plate something like yours, but you beat me to it so i guess i will have to change it now :roll:
HPIM3878.jpg
I also took the fenders off and installed some Kenda flame tires and a rack on the back for whiskey hauling :lol:

Yea spot welds. J.B. spot welds. I used J.B. weld to attach 3 tabs to the frame, 2 on the top bar and 1 on the bottom bar. Then J.B. welded the 2 halves of the aluminum tank plate to the tabs. It's pretty solid and easy. I was able to paint the plates before "welding" them on which was nice.

Latest posts

Back