Schwinn Heavy Duti built via misc. parts: Small updates

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So much for Slime tubes.o_O Maybe 9 miles on bike and yes I checked the rim strip and rim before mounting. This was how I found it the other day sitting in the garage.

P1070611.JPG

I haven't taken it off the rim to see what the problem is.

On a better note the bike rides terrific. When it has air anyhow. I still need to clean the bike, repaint the bar clamp, remove some paint over spray on the frame, polish chrome pieces.......... Someday, someday....

Just my 2c but slime tubes are worthless; every one I've had served me no good because by the time it got a puncture the slime went bad and wouldn't seal the leak that or I'd get a puncture and be OK for maybe a day give or take then where the puncture was the tube would rip out and leave a huge disaster to clean the tire & rim.

Oh believe me I have never wanted one of these Slime tubes. I dislike the Slime stuff in general. But the day I did the wheels for this bike I found out I had no extra and the Slime tube was all that was available locally. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Not much of a update, I haven't been feeling very good in recent weeks and only two things have happened in regards to the bike. The Slime tube appears to be defective. I didn't find anything wrong with the rim strip or the rim. The tube split on the side facing the rim strip. Thankfully not much slime leaked out of it. I'm returning it for a refund the next time I'm at Walmart. My first and last Slime tube.

006.JPG

Paid for the Worksman front drum-brake wheel on July 11th. It arrived on August 5th missing the brake lever and cable assembly that was suppose to be included.:( Chuck responded quickly and said he was sending them. Everyone else seems to have great experiences buying from ind-chuckz except for me. Both of my purchases had significant issues and both times I had to send multiple messages after weeks had passed in order to get the items shipped. Like many of you I appreciate him making these items available at such reasonable prices and he does make things right when something is wrong. Maybe he does not like me or something. Seems I am the only person that has such problems.

004.JPG

It's a nice wheel but I'm waiting for the missing items. Can't really use it without them. Hopefully the next update will have some actual progress with the bike.

That is a good looking wheel! Shame about the waiting for the rest of the items, but well worth it in the long run!

Luke.

Thank you Luke. I . Still waiting on the missing parts.

Haha wellll, I also bought a heavy duti frame :| so I'm going to build it up and maybe build the Deliveri for my bro.

LOL! I think you might like these style frames. Hard not to for the price Chuck sells them for. That and they do ride well. You are better person then me. I would have a hard time giving that Deliveri frame to someone else even if it is the same as the Heavy Duti, other than the front basket mounts on the fork and the color. Have you got a build plan for the Heavy Duti?

The lever and cable assembly from Chuck arrived Monday. He sent me a new set because of all the troubles and apologized. It's much appreciated. I felt better today and therefore decided to mount the Worrksman wheel. I don't like my rigged brake clamp for it. Well It's not a brake clamp as you can see in the pic.:rofl: I'm going to try to make a clamp from some plumbers strapping and use a bolt with a nylock. I have some rubbing going on inside the hub at a certain point of rotation. If I pull down on the brake arm a little more than standard resting position it goes away. I noticed in some of the pics online people had added a long spring to give more back pressure to the arm. Not sure if I will try that or take the side plate off and take a gander at the inner return spring setup. Pics are hazy because the humidity shot way up here today and my camera didn't have enough time to adapt and therefor the lens was a bit fogged.

001.JPG

005.JPG

Every once in a while, Chuckz will post like between 3 and 6 of the Worksman drum front hubs at once; they usually sell-out super fast, so have some money ready for the next round....

BTW, i'm using a hose clamp like that on one of my bikes b/c a Landing Gear is way too fat for the standard S-A brake clip sizes...been working 100% good for a few years now.

BTW, i'm using a hose clamp like that on one of my bikes b/c a Landing Gear is way too fat for the standard S-A brake clip sizes...been working 100% good for a few years now.

I've seen and heard of others using hose clamps. If I continue to use one I will have to make some changes. To get it tight where the large brake arm isn't moving back and forth a little I have to make it really tight, but that pulls the whole arm over to the fork leg. At rest with there is a fair amount of gap between the two. The other mistake I believe I made is wrapping the clamp around both sides of the arm. My idea is to put a thick piece of hard rubber between the brake arm and fork. Then run the clamp around the fork but though the center gap in the brake arm and clamp the left side only. That would mover the arm to the right a little and line the cable up straighter as well.

YEah, the brake arm design is different between the drums Worksman uses and the Sturmey-Archer drums... Looking at it again, I can see how the Worksman brake arm could be problematic with a hose clamp...

I haven't done much to it since last posting other then small stuff. Redid the front drum brake arm clamp. Still using a hose clamp but I put a piece a of plastic in between the arm and fork. Then ran the clamp through the split groove in the arm. Drum brake has been working great. Used some aluminum foil and fine sand paper pad with Brasso to clean the chrome up some. Wet sanded some of that grey primer off the frame as well. I put the chain guard on to see what it looks like and to deal with having to wear long pants at times to ride now because we have had some colder weather in recent weeks.

P1070716.JPG

P1070718.JPG

P1070720.JPG

Back