Schwinn build, but not what you're thinking.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
MMBO #5 is complete, this bike has been patiently waiting in the background. Getting a little work here and there.
20160905_095750.jpg

The gold anodize was shot, this must have been a real racer cause it was beat to heck, but most of the parts were there.
20160905_114142.jpg

Stripping anodize, there's no good way, but it's done.
20160911_121322.jpg

This was the first paintjob, black base, red flake blue pearl, with purple and pink pearl. Unfortunately I had a large sag in the top tube, when it was sanded out I blew thru all the metallic.
20160925_114747.jpg

Reshot it with more purple and pink pearl, lost the base coat color, but it does flash in the sun.

This will eventually be for my daughters when they're tall enough for a 21" top tube. I'll ride it until then. if they don't want it, it'll get shot black in a few years.

Forks, got oxalic acid dip
Cranks, bars, seat post, stripped and painted black automotive enamel.
Stem, anodize stripped and polished.
Seat post, half stripped, saved the XS logo, and ploished.

Rims- Zac30's with GT mohawk hubs, these need stripped, polished, rebuilt.

If anyone is holding XS 6 shooter hubs shoot me a PM.

New parts. KMC chrome Z chain, CW repo chrome bars, Purple Sunday Current 2.20 tires, carbon fiber ebay china seat, polished Tektro brakes, carbon headset spacer, black AME grips, Sinz chair tensioners.

Still running the chrome forks? That will look cool!
Luke.

I have 5 BMX builds waiting in the wings, ranging from 1982 to 2014. Gonna try to dress them all out as old school as possible, chrome or polish everything I can. I'm 40, to me a BMX should have chrome.

Anyone on here nickel plating, let's talk, I wanna give it a try.

I'm going to strip the anodizing from the rims and polish the hoops.

What are people using to seal, protect the raw aluminum.
i personally use adhesion promoter and a clearcoat on any raw metal , but idk if it would affect a mirror polished finish , i think if its polished to a mirror finish it will be more corrosive resistant by it self

That frame has nice assets , Gj on the paint

i personally use adhesion promoter and a clearcoat on any raw metal , polished to a mirror finish it will be more corrosive resistant by it self

I plan to strip anodizing with lye, sand, polish on the buffer. I've considered heating the rims up to 130 or so in the oven and applying a sealer wax.
130 would be about how hot they would get laying in the sun all day.

Im willing to try clearcoat on alum. It would have to be prepped then immediately painted, it starts to oxidize almost instantly.

When I did the frame on this bike, I did a final wet sand with panel prep, wiped with panel prep, shot etch PPG dp primer. The alum never had a chance for oxidize layer to form.

Latest posts

Back