Salt Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dman said:
One suggestion: please don't cover it up! Aluminium panelling would be sweet, but that frame is sweeter!

I'll second that, and add a suggestion; why not fair the wheels instead? Fairings like the one on the front of this Guzzi* would look good on the wheels (especially on the rear), and would still allow that cool suspension and frame to be seen. Of course, you'd want to use your metalworking skills to make them out of aluminum instead of plastic.

*Looked closer at the pic, and realized it's a Honda CX, not a Moto Guzzi.

teamphoto3.JPG

First off, thanks again for all the compliments. It's cool you guys like what I'm doing here. I just now got a delivery! Bought a cool skip tooth and crank off ebay. Think it will compliment the bike nicely. I just hope I don't have the same problem I had with the first bike I did like this. I couldn't pedal it well with the larger standard sprocket. That's why I used a small one. We'll see.

Dman, the spring is a standard trailer spring that I cut at various lengths to meet my needs.

I am back and forth with skinning the frame. However, even if I do, I wasn't planning on covering the the suspension. I may just make a cool looking mock tank under the top tube.

I hope to work on it more this week. I'll keep the updates coming.
And thanks again guys for the interest.

Wheeler

So I got a little more progress done on the bike. But, I don't know if it's taking the "salt racer" look I had planned. I put this front end on and am not really sure about it. Anyway. I'm sure I'll make another one soon. But, I'm going to ride it with this one for a while. Overall, the leafspring works great and provides a nice smooth action. More to come!!!

DSC00415.jpg

englishwheeler said:
So I got a little more progress done on the bike. But, I don't know if it's taking the "salt racer" look I had planned. I put this front end on and am not really sure about it.

The reason it doesn't look 100% like a lakes motorcycle is the height of the steering head; the land speed bikes have the steering head right down on the front tire.

COURTNEY_LOVE_3-788455.jpg

No matter that it doesn't quite meet your "theme"; it still looks great.

speaking of a leaf spring front end, im building and one and that spring would be PERFECT! where do you get those, man?? :mrgreen:
img645.jpg

really nice work on that leaf spring...looks like it would work well!
this shoulg look good finished as i really like the clean simple lines of your previous leaf
spring bike.

Hey just so you all know... I can forge you a leaf spring any thickness or length you want (well within reason anyway) so dont let no spring be a hang up for not building some cool leaf sprung bike. I can even roll the ends for the hanger...

Man that is beautiful. Its funny how you have something in your mind design wise and end up someplace totally diffrent... happens to me daily..

Anyway. Outstanding bike. Im impressed and jealous :D :D

Latest posts

Back