Saddle Preservation?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this old seat off of my '38+/- Hawthorne. It has some wear and tear from years of use. I'd like to maintain the original cover.
Does anyone have any experience with applying a sealer or flexible coating to a similar seat cover?
I've toyed with the idea of trying FlexSeal...any ideas?
2bf99922e0c57f414d00ea3e6c738871.jpg
29dae2185076ddcca245e35a9433736a.jpg

The undercarriage I can clean up.
37bb4ccdeed421b5f5fd092ea884a189.jpg
92b127f6b6e17b06269edb87c1a300d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont think I'd want to sit on flex seal.
Get some leather oil into that thing and make it pliable again, saddle soap may also work. Some careful stitch work will give it a worn, repaired, still hanging in there look.

Criss crotch stitching with thick thread would look cool.

I suggest mending the tears with 100% polyester thread and a curved upholsterer's needle. That thread is harder to find than the cotton blends, but is much more weather resistant and durable.

I wouldn't be quick to assume the saddle is wrapped in true leather. More likely it's an early product called Fabrikoid. Looking at the "fringe" surrounding the large tear leads me to believe this is so. DuPont Fabrikoid was made by coating canvas with thick nitrocellulose, so it can be sensitive to alcohols. Leather treatments might clean it, but I'm doubtful it will do much to "soften it up."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabrikoid

Last edited:
I suggest mending the tears with 100% polyester thread and a curved upholsterer's needle. That thread is harder to find than the cotton blends, but is much more weather resistant and durable.

I wouldn't be quick to assume the saddle is wrapped in true leather. More likely it's an early product called Fabrikoid. Looking at the "fringe" surrounding the large tear leads me to believe this is so. DuPont Fabrikoid was made by coating canvas with thick nitrocellulose, so it can be sensitive to alcohols. Leather treatments might clean it, but I'm doubtful it will do much to "soften it up."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabrikoid

You are correct, it isn't a leather cover. It is a coated fabric. I'm assuming the description you are using for it is correct.
I have made an attempt to salvage it as depicted in my RRBBO12 thread: Born Again Hawthorne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admit I haven't been following everyone's build threads the way I should. When I went back and reviewed yours...WOW, what a difference! Way to turn initial disappointment into satisfaction.

Latest posts

Back