rusty seat post stuck in frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there I just got ahold of an old Columbia cruiser and the bike was sitting out in weather for along time. I tried every trick I now and eventually broke the seat in the frame now I'm in a pickle. Thanks so much for all the help looking foward to hearing from you.

Can you weld? I cut mine out (Seat Tube) and re-welded a 1 inch conduit in place of the old, and then you can uses a modern 26.2 seat post.

Brianas_Bike01b.jpg

S7303175.jpg

Is the post broken off below the clamp area? If it's the 13/16" hollow type some here have had success cutting it vertically with a hacksaw blade. If it's a really old one with the solid post and shims, you may be able to drive out one of the shims with a dull chisel or punch. If all else fails, you can probably find an automotive machine shop who' ll drill it out for 30 bucks or so.

this question seems to come up a lot. I made a slide hammer out of some allthread and some washers ground down to fit in the frame tube, put them in from the bottom bracket and captured with the allthread. I put a big washer at the top and used an old jeep hub for the weighted slide part of the slide hammer. This was after I had torn the post off inside the frame, while soaking it for days in penetrating lube and trying to twist it out with a huge pipe wrench

I have tryed the slide hammer, a body shop slide hammer welded to a post, didnt work, The water trick soak and no work, wd-40 for a year on a high dollar road bike and no work. Heat on steel frame and steel post and no wrok. I welded a 3 ft cheater bar on several steel posts and that worked. I haven't used the PB Blaster stuff.

Latest posts

Back