RRBBO - Good Vibrations

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat Rod said:
What's the best way to re-insert the races/cups on the neck?

I thought about using a block of wood and hammer, but this may goof things up. Please don't say a hydraulic press at a machine shop. :roll:

I use the wood and hammer but also made this
bearing_cup_tool.jpg

I've seen one better then this that had something brass (soft) instead of the washers I used. Whatever was brass fit inside the bearing cups. I can't recall what the brass part was though.

The chainring is for a coaster which requires a different width chain compared to a 5 speed chain.

The shifter is mounted to a totally different headset setup then what you have. THe original headset has a cone shape nut that that fits the shifter better. Check your collegiate..

For the headset or BB cups, I like the hammer and wood method.

I have switched to using a dead blow hammer though, lead shot in the head, hard rubber face. No bounce. Once you get accurate it is pretty much a one shot install (it helps to have some inner rage though).

I like the custom install tool but I cant weld so I will stick with the 2x4 and hammer method.

The bike looks sweet. Nice and simple ratted bike with a very classy look.

Hooch said:
did you get the bearing issue figured out?

I've got another set of cups and bearings to try to see if that will make a difference or not. Just got to find the time to do it!

I've also run into another snag. My chain is just a bit too long and when I remove a link then it's too short. Someone told me I should look into finding a half link to use.

I guess I have to learn all this somehow. :roll:

I got it all set up with the deraileur and then there seemes to be a lot of slack in the chain. Once I started trying to pedal the chain kept jumping off the rear spocket.

xddorox said:
Just have to shorten the chain.

I tried that and then when I removed a link it was then too short when I tried to re-install the master link.

Someone suggested using a half link. Anyone use one before?

Heading to the LBS this morning.

Ok, toss the master link and get a chain breaker tool. When figuring out the lenght of the chain, are you on the last gear closest to the frame? That's where the chain should be to measure the proper lenght and you should also have some tension in the derailleur. Are you using a derailleur chain? Just trying to help. :)

I decided to ditch the whole 5 speed derailleur set up because I ran out of patience, ha ha. I'm using my Shimano 3 speed rear wheel instead.

I've also been toying with the idea of using these fenders. Not sure if I should paint them or not.

Not really sure about the speedo either. Thinking of taking it off and painting the neck and the headlight bracket flat black.

What this bike really needs is a springer....then it will look just like Multipass's bike....ha ha!

100_2706.jpg

100_2707.jpg

100_2708.jpg

Latest posts

Back