RRBBO - Good Vibrations

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Here's my entry...an 80s model Huffy Good Vibrations Cruiser. We'll see just how cheap and ratty it can be done. 8)

100_2507.jpg

Sticking with the trend of low-budget 80s model department store bikes :shock: ...I found a donor bike today for $14.99 at my local resale shop.

Will be creating a 5 speed rat...possibly with hand brakes. Parts should work fine with the Huffy cruiser frame above.

100_2508.jpg

Recieved my tires today from Debbie at http://www.bikeworldusa.com and decided to do a little mocking up. Waiting on a set of extra long handlebars from Dumpster Diver. Still not sure what I will do for a seat. This bad boy is ratty. 8)

100_2540.jpg

100_2541.jpg

100_2547.jpg

100_2552.jpg

The temps finally got out of the 30s and into the 50s today so I was able to give the frame, forks and chainguard a quick sanding and then 3 or 4 coats of the old flat black. It was a quick sanding job so some of the battle scars are still visible. The best part about painting a bike flat black is that you can pick up the frame about 5 minutes after you spray it.

A couple of pics after the sanding...

100_2553.jpg

100_2554.jpg

Here's the frame all nice and painted. Take note of my "PARK" bicycle stand. :mrgreen:

100_2555.jpg

Well, the flat black is all dry and now I'm just playing around to see how it will look. Plan to do some custom work on the speedo and the chaingaurd. So far I'm pretty pleased with how she's turning out.

100_2557.jpg

100_2558.jpg

100_2559.jpg

100_2560.jpg

It's looking good.

For a minute there I thought that was a tachometer setting on the handlebars, so it's a good thing you mentioned it was a speedometer.

I was expecting to see some white shoe polish on it with your entry number and bracket time - followed by clouds of smoke from the burn out!!

Hooch said:
are you retaining the 5 spead?

I'm going to give it a shot. Still not sure what I will do about a shifter or the placment of it. I plan to mount a single hand brake to the rear wheel. I want to be able to ride thing more than 50 yards without running out of breath. :lol:

Well, here's the latest update. I received a Schwinn shifter, chain ring and some handlebars this week for my bike. Today I was able to pack the bearings and install the crank and chain ring. One thing I ran into is that the chain that I was using from the my Murray parts bike is too narrow to fit on the Schwinn chain ring. Not sure if I will be able to use this chain ring after all. Maybe someone knows what size I need.

I also installed the new handlebars, grips and an old Weinmann brake lever. I'm still having issues with the headset on this bike. For whatever reason when I tighten down too much on it, the whole assembly is too tight and doesn't turn easily. Either I've forgoten a part or I put something together wrong. The other downer to this is that my Schwin 5 speed shifter ends up being loose because I can't tighten the headset down enought. Looks like I'll be pulling at a part in the future to see what's going on.

Oh, and I also threw on a set of Electra pinstripe decals since I don't have $100 to spend on a real stripe job. :roll:

So far just coasting around on it in my driveway has been fun..LOL!

100_2606.jpg

100_2605.jpg

100_2607.jpg

100_2609.jpg

100_2608.jpg

What's the best way to re-insert the races/cups on the neck?

I thought about using a block of wood and hammer, but this may goof things up. Please don't say a hydraulic press at a machine shop. :roll:

Latest posts

Back