RRB WORD of the DAY- Beausage

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Patina is out.

Beausage - American pronunciation ("BYOO-sij") and the French pronunciation ("bo-SAHG") -"It's a blend of "beauty" and "usage," and is used to describe a beauty that comes from or through use. Like dings and nicks on a trusty bicycle. Or a leather bicycle saddle once it has been broken in and has adopted the shape of its rider's bottom. Certain sets of kitchen knives acquire beausage after many years. Or—and this might be the perfect example—musical instruments. Like Trigger, Willie's guitar."

It was coined by Grant Peterson of Rivendell Bicycle.

http://www.ecovelo.info/2008/06/03/a-deep-patina/
http://pirateontwowheels.blogspot.com/2 ... usage.html
http://metacool.typepad.com/metacool/20 ... usage.html

jwm said:
The Japanese have a similar concept. They call it wabi-sabi. Among bikesters it is manifested as a passion for patina.

JWM
yep it means imperfection, lived next door to a buddist family in japan when I was a kid.. it was how they lived

I like this example of what is not beausage:
When the chrome on the back of my iPod scratched away, the resulting exposed grey plastic made the thing feel cheap and ephemeral -- the opposite of what a good chrome finish should have done.

cman said:
When the chrome on the back of my iPod scratched away, the resulting exposed grey plastic made the thing feel cheap and ephemeral -- the opposite of what a good chrome finish should have done.

That's our age and time in a nutshell!
I wonder if this guy is surprised that his IKEA furniture is particle board covered with paper veneer.

JWM

jwm said:
That's our age and time in a nutshell!I wonder if this guy is surprised that his IKEA furniture is particle board covered with paper veneer.

JWM
Sticker wood is the worst.

jwm said:
cman said:

That's our age and time in a nutshell!
I wonder if this guy is surprised that his IKEA furniture is particle board covered with paper veneer.

JWM
what ... really .. I am taking my whole house back ..

bike2112 said:
cman said:

Agreed. I always wanted a cell phone with an old school rotary dial but could never talk anyone into producing one.

There's an app for that.

No. Seriously. I use it to great effect when in a group.

bike2112 said:
I always wanted a cell phone with an old school rotary dial but could never talk anyone into producing one.

I don't have a cell phone, just a rotary phone and refuse to change over to a touch tone. :mrgreen:

bike2112 said:
Agreed. I always wanted a cell phone with an old school rotary dial but could never talk anyone into producing one.

Don't know 'bout the rotary dial, but there's always this:

handset.jpg

posting for later

Back