Road King banana bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Got home from bartending late last night (actually 6am lol) and did a little CL browsing and came across this little late 70's? banana bike. From what I can tell it is an Eaton's store brand bicycle, but couldn't find out much more. In my neighbourhood when a musclebike is listed they are always asking the moon for it. but this guy was asking $100 and I needed some of the parts for a build I have going, so I shelled out the $$$ anyway. On the good side, the seat is super cool, he gave me both sissybars, the NOS windscreen is immaculate and all the mounting hardware is present, I like the apehangers, and the 3 speed hub seems to be functional. So all in all a good day for me.

photo-9.jpg

photo-12.jpg

photo-11.jpg

photo-10.jpg

photo-13.jpg

photo-14.jpg

Very cool parts and bike! Love the seat!

Nice,

I have a thing for import Muscle bikes, working on one now, lve to see the unusual ones, thanks for sharing.

Hey, That was my Wonder Years ride in 1976-77. Grade 6, picked it up at Eaton's in Vancouver.
It was a great wheelie bike.... in the beginning.......and I put a big new red plastic Radio Shack AM/horn radios with the big orange reflector, a set of rear signals between the 4' sissy bar with back pad.
.......and then, my first set of chopper forks, summer '77
The forks were home built by an 11 year old genius/dare devil (me) with little more than hand tools, a drill and a length of scaffold pipe.
Somehow it all held together for my sunset cruises before dinner, a bath and a new episode of Happy Days. HEEYYYYYYY!
Oh yeah, that bike sold at a yard sale that summer for $5, I think
I was in a full leg cast due to another Evel Kneivel tribute attempt, but that's another story.
Cool bike man, Thanks. And leave the forks alone.

the guy (Zoltan) who sold the bike to me still had the extendo-forks, but they were tanks, so I left them. I still have all the parts to the bike (I have been trying to clean it up one part at a time) The fenders are roached, but everything else is functional. I was going to strip the bike and use the pieces for other builds I have going, but if you are interested, I will put it all back together and try and reconnect you with a piece of your childhood. PM me if that interests you.

-Shannon

I really didn't mean that was the exact bike initially, but I'm pretty sure that's the name of the guy who helped me massacre my bike 35 years ago and he had tankish forks? He'd be 50ish now, NO WAY??!!Right? Zoran is a pretty common name though, right? HMMM....very interestink.
Do you really think this could be the same bike? Too bizarre.
Anyways carry on with what you were doing there Shannon.
I'm in Toronto now and a couple too many bikes already, but I appreciate your pictures and very thoughtful offer.
Cheers, Dan

Yeah that's the guy for sure. Lives near 1st and Nanaimo, and said the bike had been sitting in the basement of his childhood home for 30+ years. Nice guy and still into bikes. Thanks for the go-ahead with my original plan to strip it. I may end up using the frame in the future as I really like the shape of its curves and I have a niece and nephew who are getting to the ages where I can influence them away from mass produced new bikes, and steer them towards vintage, and one-of-a-kind bikes. Just gotta finish my Sears Rail build, and use up my 68 Sears Screamer and Hiawatha Penetrator III frames first lol

That actually is a pretty phenominal turn of events. Amazing. Only on RRB.
I think we made the fork with an old 10 speed or 26" fork and the pipe on top.
We lived in Kerrisdale at the time and he had an old running mini woody wagon project at the time too, by the way. I only mention that because I noticed the old Kombi and figured he and you may be still be car guys as well.
I learned to drive standard on my brother's old Westy and then restored an eleven window in 2000, I was the third owner, dealer conversion Canadiana.
It's bombin' around somewhere in Japan now. I hope to see that one again sometime.
Good luck with all of your projects Shannon, you got some cool parts to play with.
Dan

sure is a small world, but I got to say it's great knowing the history of the bike, as it makes me want to just clean it up and put it back together........but I'll still probably raid it for parts. Hope to see you around RRB and can't wait to see pics of your bikes :)

Latest posts

Back