Restoring rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are old rims no longer safe? On painted rims with relatively light surface rust can they be bead blasted, re-coated, and re-laced?

What tires can be put on a Schwinn S7? Only 26 X 1 3/4? Can a larger tire be put on?

Thanks.

I would like to know about trying to save rims also. Anyone?

BikeSup said:
When are old rims no longer safe? On painted rims with relatively light surface rust can they be bead blasted, re-coated, and re-laced?

What tires can be put on a Schwinn S7? Only 26 X 1 3/4? Can a larger tire be put on?

Thanks.

Certainly, if the rust is "relatively light surface" rust, they can be blasted and refinished. If they have rusted through anywhere, or even half-way through, they are not worth messing with unless they are something special (meaning irreplaceable). If you have doubts, post pictures. The other thing to watch for is dents and warpage. They can usually be repaired as well, but require a little skill.

There is a tire out there that is 26 X 1&3/4 X 2. It is slightly larger. This is the only other tire size that will fit an S7. S7's are actually larger diameter than the "standard 26". If you want legit balloon tires I suggest you sell or stash the S7's and get some "generic 26 in" rims

It can be hard to judge how far rusted through it can be, but surface rust is just that and shows. When you see big rotten looking areas, especially under the rimstrap and bead areas (often from sitting while stored and the tires go flat, letting in moisture) there are pretty well on their way out. Sometimes you can wire brush them out and probe in the deeper pits with something like an icepick (icepick?, whats that?). If things seem pretty solid use a couple of coats of some rust neutralizer on the spots and a new rimstrap. The old cotton rimstraps seemed bad for this, holding moisture/staying damp and letting rust grow. If you save a rim this way it will probably last, at least, your lifetime given good care and storage.

Holy cow! I just found out something yesterday at work. We sell Finish Line Citrus Degreaser and I used it on the crank/chainring/BB parts on '67 breeze for a co worker and not only did it take the old grease off, but it cleaned up some of the surface rust. So I decided to use it on the front wheel. I took everything apart and cleaned the front hub.

Bam! It looks brand new now. So I used it on the rim and same thing, except for a gnarly section of rust scabs. But I will get back to you on that. I am headed out to work to grab the wheel to finish it, and a can and use it on some stuff at home. Next time I use it, I will do before and after pictures.

Latest posts

Back