really... that's it for a while, unless they're free...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
added this to my fleet yesterday...

harvardbike.jpg

put some air in the cracked, dry rot, tires... headed down the street, not even a block... and the skip tooth chain came apart...

a new chain would cost me more than what i paid for the bike...

so... i'm going to save the skip tooth parts, and put some normal chainrings on so i can ride it....

right now, i've got 3 bikes in my dining room, 3 in my basement 4 or 5 in my shed, 4 in the garage, 1 in my backyard, and a box of parts...

Sweet bike. I am reaching my limit too with my bikes and parts. I just got a Schwinn straight bar frame with a skip tooth sprocket and chain. I haven't really checked the chain out. It would be cool to stick with the skip tooth but I don't have a hub with a skip tooth cog, but I have a few Bendix red band hubs with standard cogs and a few standard chain ring options. I am leaning towards using my lucky seven sprocket off of a Sting Ray. But, I keep thinking the skip tooth would be cool. However, I have seen good chains go for around $50.

sod8 said:
Sweet bike. I am reaching my limit too with my bikes and parts. I just got a Schwinn straight bar frame with a skip tooth sprocket and chain. I haven't really checked the chain out. It would be cool to stick with the skip tooth but I don't have a hub with a skip tooth cog, but I have a few Bendix red band hubs with standard cogs and a few standard chain ring options. I am leaning towards using my lucky seven sprocket off of a Sting Ray. But, I keep thinking the skip tooth would be cool. However, I have seen good chains go for around $50.

it would be cool to keep the skip tooth.... but,

i plan on riding this thing, and unfortunately, if you break down somewhere, it's not as convenient to repair...

That's a nice ride! I agree, though, the skip-tooth is probably more trouble than it's worth, outside of restoration. I've got an old straightbar skip-tooth that I've been meaning to put together. It would certainly be a standard chain, if I ever do (not that I ever will).

Which brings me to your second point, of having too many "projects". it certainly seems like a sort of mania, doesn't it? Too many projects, not enough time. Always wanting to "rescue" another. Sometimes I feel like a crazy cat lady, except with bikes, and I'm a dude.

The Weird Old Guy with a yard full of dishwashers or in this case, bikes, is the male equivalent of the Crazy Old Cat Lady.

-Mp

Latest posts

Back