Ratty RoadMaster Luxury Liner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it looked like when I had it brought to my house on New Year's Day:
3157119914_bc7188e8c6.jpg

And this is what it looked like when I took it for a ride yesterday afternoon:
3335923561_da28021f79_b.jpg

Took it all apart with Joe's help (thanks again man!), re-greased bearings, re-assembled (again with Joe's help).
I just wanted to get it rolling, so for now I've replaced the wheels, tires, crank, sprocket, chain, pedals (thanks Jeremy!), and grips.
I have converted it to non-skiptooth for the moment. I saved the original sprocket though.
I still need to find a proper kickstand, as well as get the seat post straightened.
But it rides real smooth and turns heads :)

Here are a few more pics from my afternoon ride:
3336825657_9e5e379a0e_b.jpg

3337654500_901fe11706_b.jpg

3337653802_55e65629b8_b.jpg

bought that old non-skiptooth Roadmaster wheel from Joe who also helped me re-build the New Departure hub.

3336824603_995de9418f_b.jpg

Got these pedals from Jeremy.

3336825303_789e94421b_b.jpg

I still need to get this post straightened... so I can lower the seat a little.

3337683730_2f2c35fe01_b.jpg

a tradition for when I get a new bike going, I take it for a ride up New st. to get a six pack.

3337684174_3bc6ca7d07_b.jpg

and once more for comparison, the "before" pic:
3156207187_b12afb2afd_b.jpg

I also had my girl shoot a riding video, you can see how smooth it rolls :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeymac/3337720590/

That's beautiful! Nice work! Thanks for keeping another oldie alive. :wink: If you need a kickstand, I have one that is period, close in condition to the rest and would probably work (for a 26 inch)... if you'd like a picture please shoot me a pm. It's very nice that the non skip tooth Murray sprockets so closely match those roadmaster sprockets. Model D hubs aren't hard to do once you get the hang of it... thoguh those annoying discs always give me troubles when putting the hubs back together. :x

WOW. WHat a change. The red tires and pedals really work.

Where is the six pack? :mrgreen:

You know Joey if you have two new departure rear hubs and one is a skiptooth and the other is a regular, it is real easy to change that sprocket to the one with the skiptooth. Takes about 2 minutes if you have the back wheel off.

I posted a video of my girl riding with me the other day:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14488

I've been wanting to ride this a lot since the weather started getting nicer.
Yesterday was one of the nicest days of the year so far, so I made my first cruiser commute of '09.
It was a lot of fun but I realized I had been spoiled over the winter by having multiple gears on my commuting rig,
hills are a bit more work on a single speed than they were last summer.
But soon I hope to be cruising to work a lot more frequently.
Incidentally, that crappy department store girls MTB in the background has not moved
from the bike rack since I started working there over a year ago. And incidentally, it's also a RoadMaster.
3365404939_ca4845b317.jpg

And, by the way, this was shot with the point-and-shoot, that's why it looks like that.

Might be bringing this one to monson for the ride...

Looks Great, you cleaned it up real well. I've always liked those bikes. If you put that skip tooth back on it it'll be really though to ride up those hills...lol

how in the world did you get those fenders to shine like that joey? in the before pics, they look pretty boogered up, but in the after pics, i can see you! secret formula?! :?

Easy E

elvis51 said:
how in the world did you get those fenders to shine like that joey? in the before pics, they look pretty boogered up, but in the after pics, i can see you! secret formula?! :?

Easy E

Well, they look shiny, but up close they are kinda pitted. No secret formula, all I used was some Turtle Wax Chrome Polish with a cotton rag (or 000 steel wool on the really rough spots). After I got the bike cleaned up I used Zymol cleaner wax over the whole thing.

love the bike joey !!! got any plans to get the lamp working or add a rear light ? looks finished as is but if it was mine id want to ride it at night too :mrgreen:

Nice bike, does look really smooth, how can you tell that in a video, anyway? But I can. I got a thing about beer and a newly built bike too, kinda like christening a ship.

This bike is a beauty!I can't stick around for any rides at Monson unfortunately- if you bring this along I would love to see it when I deliver you your kickstand for it :D

Back