RALLY RAT! More Painting! Woo Hoo!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: RALLY RAT! HELP! Critique wanted!

Now that is an idea. I'm also going to get some different pedals when I get some more money. These plastic things are okay for a kid's cruiser but they just are not up to my standards.

Now that I think of it if I anno the wheels the only color I could really go with is red and I am trying to get out of the flat black / red rim trend. I might just get some anno red spoke nipples and leave the rims the way they are to compliment the silver in the rest of the bike. Little more subtle.

Re: Salt Flat Rat Now RALLY RAT! VIDEOS ON PAGE 3!!!

outskirtscustoms said:
Oh come on, I critique you guys work all the time, return the favor guys! Don't be shy. I can take it.
A darker seat maybe with red highlights,I know ya dont want red anodized rims but they would pop on that bike,Redline tires would set it off.Red ano pedals maybe?
Just my lil piece to help bro

Re: Salt Flat Rat Now RALLY RAT! VIDEOS ON PAGE 3!!!

outskirtscustoms said:
Oh come on, I critique you guys work all the time, return the favor guys! Don't be shy. I can take it.
Knock our socks off and put a seat post with the shock attatched to it, nana seat, and a padded short sissy bar. Thats how the bike I'm gonna make will be after I copy off of yours. :mrgreen: You can pm me a price for that tank that you offered the other member. GTB!! Peace

Thanks guys, I actually have been looking at different pedals, these plastic things are okay for kid's bikes but they are not great for trail riding and could break at any moment. Porkchop has these that would fit the bill nicely.
http://porkchopbmx.com/VP-747-Bear-Claw ... I747B3.htm

Critique: Ok, right now I'm just seeing a big box store mountain bike with a custom paint job on it, which is fine, but we need some wow here. I know that bikes are your primary mode of transportation, so you are building something you can ride and from the videos, something you can play with. You teased us before the build-off with a reverse tandem trike, then join us with a little girl's bike, and use your switch for this bike, which now you are stuck with.

Here's the wow. Go back to your original tease, grab a couple suspension forks (I know you must have some around, I've started throwing them away), and concoct a fork, similar to the one on your reverse trike, that holds 2 front wheels. Don't make it really wide and give it negative camber so it would still be useful off road. The shocks would act indepently, which would be needed, because I took my little "WRFF" reverse trike on a speed run the other day and it was scary with no suspension.

You've said you bought a welder and it's time to show us.

If you manage to put this dual front together it will be a bolt on part and the original fork can go back on it at anytime to convert it back to factory spec.

Build this and heads will turn.

yoothgeye said:
Critique: Ok, right now I'm just seeing a big box store mountain bike with a custom paint job on it, which is fine, but we need some wow here. I know that bikes are your primary mode of transportation, so you are building something you can ride and from the videos, something you can play with. You teased us before the build-off with a reverse tandem trike, then join us with a little girl's bike, and use your switch for this bike, which now you are stuck with.

Here's the wow. Go back to your original tease, grab a couple suspension forks (I know you must have some around, I've started throwing them away), and concoct a fork, similar to the one on your reverse trike, that holds 2 front wheels. Don't make it really wide and give it negative camber so it would still be useful off road. The shocks would act indepently, which would be needed, because I took my little "WRFF" reverse trike on a speed run the other day and it was scary with no suspension.

You've said you bought a welder and it's time to show us.

If you manage to put this dual front together it will be a bolt on part and the original fork can go back on it at anytime to convert it back to factory spec.

Build this and heads will turn.

I would have loved to build the tandem trike but I sold it when I was hard up for cash. My cheap Harbor Freight welder is down till I can get it exchanged. (Wire is not feeding through and sounds like gears are stripped out :roll: ) and three wheels would not fit on some of the trails I ride. I do have a few plans for the welder though but I don't want to reveal that till I get mine working and know I can pull it off. Right now I am plagued by Chinese tools.

CeeBee said:
After I hit enter on that last one, I realized it could be taken as an insult. That wasn't my intent-just making a joke!

None taken, I know it was a Chinese bike and it's okay.

Like they say here build what you have, use what you got, and make it your own. I don't see it as "Made in China" I see it as "Made in my back yard"..... My back yard is in Kokomo, Indiana USA so it is made in the USA! :wink:

Out of Chinese parts... :lol:

Let's see here...
Frame: Huffy Mojave
Bars: Del Sol Hybrid bike (up-side-down)
Wheel set: Magna
Tires: Schwinn
Lights: Trek

I wonder how many more brands I can throw at it before I'm done. :mrgreen:

Forgot one of the pics from the park. High wheel bike!
Picture001-1.jpg

I know some people don't care for drilling holes in their frame... but always try and hide shifter/brake cables in there as much as possible.
I guess if you're taking it up and down the trails you probably want to keep it... but I always try and do away with the front derailleur/multi-chainring. Food for thought.

I always wanted to jack up the rear end a couple inches on an all suspension MTB.... Try a three or for inch lift in the back and I think it would look killer and since it's a rally inspired see if you can ring up some multiple headlights some sponsored ship stickers #plate stuff like that...

Here is some inspirational photos
nacional1986b_clip_image006.jpg

audi_quattro_rally_car.jpg

Just remember august is still a ways away and even when you think your done inspiration sneeks up from behind and kicks you in the rump.... Bikes looking good....

GreenP1 is right if you have a single ring crank I would swap it out the MTB bikes always come with the ugliest cranks and really who uses the front derailed anyway

Actually I use it a lot but I ride trails a lot. Might go and paint it. As far as lifting it goes I'm short and don't do tall bikes.

Found a cool set of handlebars on a power wheels quad that was throw in the trash down the street. I'll get pics in the morning. I think they are perfect for this build. Look almost like dirt bike bars.

Well I got the new bars on and I love the way they look but the feel is off. For one they are too short to put the bar ends and brakes on so I moved those lower suicide style. Wish they were a bit wider but for now they are not bad.
Picture017-1.jpg

Picture016-1.jpg

Picture015-2.jpg

Also lowered the seat and trimmed the post off so it stops bottoming out. Notice how I followed the slant of the frame cut off.
Picture029.jpg

Couple more things I think might change the look up a bit for the better, get the seat where you like it and chop off the extra seat post that sticks out the bottom of the tube and further removal of all stickers that were present on the frame from the factory. I really like the look of the frame and color-combo you've got going... but all the letters and words draw my focus away from it as a whole.

Green P1 said:
Couple more things I think might change the look up a bit for the better, get the seat where you like it and chop off the extra seat post that sticks out the bottom of the tube and further removal of all stickers that were present on the frame from the factory. I really like the look of the frame and color-combo you've got going... but all the letters and words draw my focus away from it as a whole.
Now that you mention it I have to agree, it kinda does draw away from it.

Well I went out to walmart and got my wheel and accessory paint. Krylon Briliant silver base coat, krylon Xmetals red anno color coat, and a crystal clear gloss clear coat.

Latest posts

Back