Purple Reign GT Dyno Moto 29er Vids pg5, Beachin' pg6

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Purple Reign - 29er mockup

Thanks!
N8NBOX said:
Def down with the 29er setup, really miss my jabberwocky, once my elbow fully heals (was broken and tore a bunch of ligaments so can't MTB right now) I plan on building up another 29er, really cool to see a klunkniner
tin machine said:
wow what a cool build , this is a bike that ou would love to own 8) :mrgreen:
MplsCoaster said:
Interesting Build! Looking forward to more

Very long wheelbase, the Dyno 9R probably has 8-10 inches on the Gt Peace 9R and the chainstay is far too long for practical off-road use, fortunately that is not the point of any of this. Donor rims, have some used WTB Exiwolf tires that I'll likely use.

b5f58374.jpg

Hmm, just throwing things together, these struts must have have come off a ladies bike with a monster steerer tube. Threadless headset isn't really conducive but we'll see what happens.

1e9802f6.jpg

Got the fork today..
414534_3909422942873_1498326880_33463542_1527185242_o.jpg

18.5 * 25.4 = 170 which is longer than you were looking for.

Looking at the picture I think it would look great with the fatest 26" you could fit on the back btw... Not that it's bad the way it is either.

Thanks for getting that, too bad good looking forks and I like that removable/movable canti. Probably keep an eye on ebay for an older one with the lesser AC. The Exiwolfs I have are more balloony, not too good offroad around here(came on the GT Peace in pic) but a fine cruiser tire.

mrfritz said:
Got the fork today..
18.5 * 25.4 = 170 which is longer than you were looking for.

Looking at the picture I think it would look great with the fatest 26" you could fit on the back btw... Not that it's bad the way it is either.

Looking forward to seeing more.
Great bike.

Re: Purple Reign - 32H coaster hub is in, now for some spokes

Donor rim from GT Peace 9R with bad Shimano freehub(the pawls break from teh added torque on these lower-end Shimanos, no bueno ), new 32H HISTOP coaster hub, gonna be first attempt at lacing a wheel up after all these years of wrenching bikes. Bought the Park truing stand a few months ago.

585c1f0e.jpg
533e2f42.jpg

De-lustered and mounted the hub, its space for 110mm but has a 175mm axle, good enough for the 130mm spacing on thus puppy, after centering and measuring, as expected needs 2 10mm spacers. RAn the hub and rim thru Spocalc, says 291.6mm so 291mm, but I'll compare to the ones I take off the wheel. The Shimano has the same flange spacing but is offset so one should be a bit long and one a bit shorter than that though with that mcuh length maybe not. At some point that brake arm needs to get bent.

7f3e25fb.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - Ordered fork, spokes, and headset

Ordered last Friday from Niagara, if past experience is any indication about 2-3 weeks before you have them. Never had any issues with them they just take soooo long.

Cleaned up the truss rods a bit with steel wool and found the steerer tube bracket I believe goes with them. Will need to take 1/16" off all the way around the ID to fit the 1 1/8" steer of course. Will wait til fork and headset are on to size everything up before committing to that though.

EDIT: They must have read the post, got an email a few hours later saying they shipped at noon on Friday.

09a6064b.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - Ordered fork, spokes, nips, and headset

Thanks!

Xcruiser said:
Thats some slick stuff man!! Ill bet this one will be a knockout!!

Got the parts today, quickly put headset on frame and race on fork, looking at the fork out of the box it didn't look big enough but no worries. The truss rods are a bit low but I'd like to use them and fab a something from the canti-brake studs as a brace so they don't look so out of place.

6516d1cf.jpg
6bd50ba3.jpg

Another view of truss mounted sort of, up against the QR skinny axle, too short but might be able to re-bend rods to accomodate.

20da62c4.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - Headset on, fork perfect clearance, truss rod

Nice trusses and I like your idea of coming off of the brake bosses with something.
Maybe mount a pair of headlights there??????

Re: Purple Reign - Headset on, fork perfect clearance, truss rod

kingfish254 said:
Nice trusses and I like your idea of coming off of the brake bosses with something.
Maybe mount a pair of headlights there??????

lol, it looks like this year double headlights are the new flipped handlebars. I'll probably try a set of standoffs with some sort of attachment at the end to hook onto the trusses. Need to go down to this Marshall's hardware store by Mira Mar this weekend anyway to get some spacers for my rear hub I'll sniff around there for something, also spying an old time brake booster arch for possible use.

Re: Purple Reign - some work done

Took the hub apart and re-packed it with good and sufficient grease, overhauled my blackout Morrow while I was at it. Found some 6mm double ended studs(possible truss rod bracket) at the hardware store and got some spacers for the 32H hub. Lacing the wheel later today.

f3f01896.jpg
07b9f25f.jpg

Hub re-assembled with spacers, still a few mm's loose might go for a couple of washers but it'll tighten up fine the way it is.
d17d74c6.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - Laced my first wheel!

Didn't take too long and tension looks real good just one slight misstep on the non-drive side but caught it before it was painful, don't know why I waited so long now. Anyway 32H Coaster hub on my 29er rim, still need to bend the brake arm to fit. Got some track nuts and a seatpost clamp coming(25.4/1" is getting hard to come by for good ones), already have some tensioners. Possibly use the BB adapter I've had laying around as I have plenty of mtb cranksets.

29eb77ea.jpg
bfd26577.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - brake-arm bent, mockup of the Dyno-9R

Used an old solid seatpost in the inside of the vise to bend the brake-arm still a beeeotch, could maybe use a bit more but good for now. Axle sits so far back for tire room wil have to use the chainstay to brace the brake-arm, may be able to drill a second hole though need to suss it out more. Mounted a tire and went for the mockup as a 29er

e332fcf1.jpg
c1b7d539.jpg

d1b50b4f.jpg

Man that is a sweet looking frame!!

I love Purple and that frame looks BeaUtiful with those 29 ers ...

Thanks! And this paint color doesn't photograph well on cell phone. Hopefully get it riding this weekend and do some outside shots, or at least I can roll it outside. I found one black and one chrome set of OPC GT cranks and a GT chainring in my parts pile I might use on this instead of BB converter, might as well save that for a real klunker build.

Got a 6mm Heim joint coming that should work coming off the canti posts for a truss rod bracket, but I'll need to put a solid 9mm axle on the front hub to use truss rods maybe. Can't find a hollow axle longer than 110mm in 9mm only 9.5mm and 10mm.

EDIT: I could possibly attach the end of the truss rod to the inside fender mount but then can't use disc brake which would be nice to have cuz the 29ers are harder on brakes in general and this hub is not super high quality to begin with. Going to a solid axle makes transportation a bit harder in the vehicle, but not impossible more of a pain than anything.

kingfish254 said:
Man that is a sweet looking frame!!
whoinphx said:
I love Purple and that frame looks BeaUtiful with those 29 ers ...
Peatbog said:
I agree, that does look cool.
Critter1 said:
Looks real tough as a 29er. I like!

Re: Purple Reign - Heim joints, guides, new mockup pic

Got some heim joints in, fit the truss rods perfect but will need to hack some of the boss off and get shorter stud. Experimented with using cable housing to fill the cable guides, then threw the likely final bars(tried using these on several cruisers but with slack head angle they always hit the top tube, work on this though), crank, and chainring on and took the bike outside for a pic.

7682e239.jpg
a902338a.jpg

40564061.jpg

afa722fa.jpg

EDIT: Got some better studs(set screws actually), I think the truss rods are a go! A closeup of the chainring/crank combo

15084b52.jpg

936a9459.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - Heim joints, cranks/ring, new Dyno 9R pic

Some more work on the truss rods: ground out the opening in the truss rod bracket and mounted everything again. Pretty amazed that everything lined up so well. Just a bit high from the side but I'm going to cut the canti mount down by half, should be dead-on in alignment, then take up the slack with a spacer rather than bending stuff.

85ca7f3e.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - Truss rod progress

Like your truss rod setup and the 29ers look tough on that frame. Nice!

Latest posts

Back