Pretty sweet parts! Mystery fork IDENTIFIED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT- Fork has been identified by Wald, see below.

Hey guys, here is my parts haul from the Brimfield MA antique fair.

Is this fork anything special? It is NOS from a fellow that bought out a bike store ages ago. Normally I wouldn't think it was much of anything without a springer, but it it HEAVY!! Like a weapon. It is WALD stamped B-26 inside, and pat. 2561710. Headtube is nearly 8". It is 2 3/4 between the fork legs and seems to be a 26" fork, but is shorter than some I have. If it is nothing special, I might use it on my build-off bike. Which will require bending it and drilling it. I am guessing it is just a replacement fork, and the tube would be cut down depending on what bike you put it on, but I don't know.
IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

Then we got some sweet twin lights! Double vision. Look NOS. One set is clearly Royce. The other? Not sure, but I did see a photo of them on a Royce Union 'lookin good' chopperbike styled like a Murray Firecat. Did they come on anything else?
IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

The twin lights (Royce too? Stamped Made in Japan.)
IMG_2186.jpg

Came on this bad boy?
lookingood2.jpg

Then a faded nanner but this thing is mint on the bottom. No markings.
IMG_2188.jpg

A BELT leather saddle. Came on MIJ bikes.
IMG_2187.jpg

A sweet Italian flip clamp bottle holder. Stamped REG. Should get prettier with some steel wool.
IMG_2192.jpg

Filally my cheapest and maybe ironically favorite score, A McDonalds bike license plate that says...
IMG_2193.jpg

Can you imagine the restraint of some kid to never write their name with a sharpie on that plate!

Again any thoughts on the fork are appreciated before I go and mess it up!

Re: Pretty sweet parts! Mystery fork? Some NOS.

Cool finds, I'll be going there tomorrow :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Cool finds, I'll be going there tomorrow :wink:

There were some amazing bikes there this year. More than I have seen ever I think. I took a pic of almost everyone I saw. They even had a Mattel VROOM (canti version) I might be there too. (My third time this week!) If you see a guy with a handlebar moustache, that is me!

My regret is I passed on a St. Tropaz shocker bike with the most elaborate frame I have seen on a shock bike. Had a gusset and more. I can't even find a pick of one on the internet. More elaborate than a Yamaha Motobike. I went back the next day and it was gone... didn't even get a picture.

Maybe the fork might be for a cycletruck?

I've never seen a fork like that before. At first glance it looks like a forged fork, but it's not. Very odd. Don't know if it's rare, but it is weird.

Herman said:
Maybe the fork might be for a cycletruck?

I wondered if that was possible, it sure is heavy. And a really long head tube. But it is for a 26" wheel and most cycletrucks seem to run a 20 in the front. Possibly a heavy upgrade for a whizzer or motored bike? Some were truss I guess (rather than springer.)

whizzer_schwin2.jpg.w560h420.jpg

Fisch said:
Hey guys, here is my parts haul from the Brimfield MA antique fair.....

Filally my cheapest and maybe ironically favorite score, A McDonalds bike license plate that says...
IMG_2193.jpg

Can you imagine the restraint of some kid to never write their name with a sharpie on that plate!

Again any thoughts on the fork are appreciated before I go and mess it up!

That was mine, someone stole it before I got a chance to put it on :lol:

IMG_0287.jpg

Road Master said:
Great Score on the 2 Twin Light Sets - you can't find any kind of twin lights on ebay for less than $125. Great Finds! Robert

:shock: !!! I had no idea. Would you believe I picked up both twin lights, the banana seat and two NOS generators for $40 total! And people say you can't score at Brimfield!

Wald was able to identify that fork for me, what a cool company! So the question I have to ask myself is if I want to use it for my build off, which would require drilling and bending it... I mean if it is just a replacement fork from 1951+, I can't imagine it is that valuable or rare. And I quote:

"The fork you have is from the late 40s or 50s. It is the Wald 1310 as shown
on the attached copy of a page from Wald Catalog No. 50. We started
producing them in April 1947 and Patent Number 2561710 was issued
07/24/1951. I am not sure when we stopped production.

Thanks for sharing your antique Wald fork with us.

Dan

Dan Crum
Wald LLC"

And he even attached the catalog page for me.
WaldForkCat50.jpg

If you're thinking about drilling it for a brake, I don't think that will work very well.

mos6502 said:
If you're thinking about drilling it for a brake, I don't think that will work very well.

I wouldn't be drilling for a brake, I'd be drilling a pivot hole on each side above the dropouts for a custom springer bracket so that the swivel bolt can't slide out of the slotted drop out (which I will bypass all together.). And I'd need to widen the fork to fit a disc brake rotor (if I use the wheelset I have planned.)

This fork is rather perfect for it really as I also have a pretty long head tube to account for and this thing has 8" of steerer. And it is the color of my bike, Rust brown! I can't find any idea of value on the internet for it though. So if anyone has a guess, let me know! I mean I imagine if you are a high end bike restorer guy, you'd want the stock fork rather than a wald replacement anyway, right?

The fork may be collectible but I doubt there is any value($$) in it. You could try working a trade with Wald if they would be interested for their collection. OR I think you plans sound perfect for it.

cman said:
The fork may be collectible but I doubt there is any value($$) in it. You could try working a trade with Wald if they would be interested for their collection. OR I think you plans sound perfect for it.

Thank you C-man! That is what I needed to hear!

Back